Tapinauchenius purpureus freshly molted!

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I really love this spider... Wasn't sure about the whole coming out of the tank idea, so she did a lot of running around my hands and arms, finally onto my back and my roommate had to help remove her ;). I'm not a big advocate of unnecessary or 'recreational' spider handling, but she was pretty calm once I got her into the fake log and guided her into a few positions.

She molted the other day AND I have the new cam, so it was a foregone conclusion she had to come out for the first set of pics since she arrived last year.

Attachments

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now that is one pretty spider. Is that color for male and female or just one or the other. Are they cared for kinda like an aboreal?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow,
Now thats a good looking spider. And great pictures.
Love those closeups. Some shots take alot of work. But well worth it.

Thanks,
Ernie

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by petitegreeneyes
Now that is one pretty spider. Is that color for male and female or just one or the other. Are they cared for kinda like an aboreal?
T. purpureus is as arboreal as they get... Tapinauchenius species are somewhat similar to Psalmopoeus in that they're a bit bigger than Avicularia (on average) and tend to be a little heavier of build. Some species also have a kind of trademark silky sheen to their abdominal hairs. Some of the species that are periodically available are purpureus, gigas, elenae and plumipes.

They seem to be fairly robust, enjoying similar conditions to most Avics I've kept - good airflow above all else with moderate humidity and lots of cork bark to hang out on or construct web retreats under/on. This purpureus likes to do a fair amount of webbing, which is similar to other Taps I've seen.

bill

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek: Drop dead gorgeous!!!! I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that a female?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
I really love this spider...
Hey Bill, that's one of the nicest T's I've ever seen! How rare are they? And if you don't mind me asking, where on Earth did you get it?

Thanks,
Steve

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, I got her from a supplier as an oddball... Last year, before I was starting up Invertepet full time. As with some of the more rare stuff you find from various sources, it was priced high and actually mis-ID'ed initially (I was told it was a Pachistopelma rufonigrum, a VERY rare arboreal indeed, but not as pretty as this).

The adults are one of the more rare tarantulas that are periodically available (kind of like adult P. subfusca or the like), although babies may be coming soon...

bill

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
*picks jaw up off of ground and wires it in place so it doesn't drop again*

WOW!

How much do those go for as s'lings?

BD

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm not sure how much the slings will be, but look for them next month or maybe even late this month. ;)

bill

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

Wow! Great Pics! That is related to the orange tree spider(t.gigas) right? I know I will be getting some!

James