Tapinauchenius gigas s'ling *pics*

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Check out this stripey-butt little thing. I hope it remains this calm as it grows. After I finished with my pics, I couldn't get it to go back home. :)

Atrax

Attachments

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, it looks so similar to my A. urticans. Aren't tapins supposed to be on the bitey side of tarantula species?

Jon

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Neat looking sling Atrax.
How about a little background on it.;) I've never heard of them.

Ernie

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gregg,
It's just a tad bigger, I'd say 1 1/2".

Dragonfly,
I've read that but I've also read from people with experience keeping them that they can be more shy than aggressive. I'm determined to raise this one to be a sweetheart. We'll see how it goes.

Sure thing Ernie. It's an Arboreal (although I've read that they can exhibit terrestrial behavior) native to French Guyana. Their care requirements are very similar to that of an Avicularia. They are one of the few new world species that have no urticating bristles. (Yay! :)) They are known to be incredibly fast. I've even read that Pokies are no match for them in speed. That should make for some good times ahead, no? ;)
Here's a link to a nice pic by P. Messenger. Notice the trademark shiny, velvety appearance that Taps are known for...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula.store/T.gigas.htm

See ya.

Atrax

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Calm when it grows...

Depends on your definition of calm. If a spider that takes off at light speed when you get near it is what you consider calm then yes it will grow up to be that way. :)

They don't tend to bite just run but expect it to run and pretty fast too. Wicked cool species though.

Phil

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome pics, Atrax :)
In my experience, Taps can be fairly aggressive, but, as was stated, tend to be pretty shy unless provoked. However, I have seen my share of downright mean T. gigas, so I wouldn't go so far as to make the generalization that they are ALL shy :)
As spiderlings they are fairly sweet, but once they get some size on them, be prepared for chaos. lol...
Good luck with your babies :)
Where'd you get 'em?

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Nice photos!

What a pretty little baby :)
I like the stripes, it's SO tiny=D

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

that also looks similar to my avic.avic! great pics gary! I love the colors and stripes!

James

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
They are known to be incredibly fast. I've even read that Pokies are no match for them in speed. That should make for some good times ahead, no? ;)
I've seen that first hand, Watching poor Art chase one around... of all the T's that the one that I am still waiting a while before getting.

Bill

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No kiddin'? DId he have to chase it for a while before he caught it? I hear they have really good endurance for a T. They don't have to stop as soon to replenish the oxygen supply.

Atrax

Stuie

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info and background BileDrunk! im from the uk and i had a T.blondi around 5-6 inches that i traded for a t.gigas (fear i may have been ripped off as they taken the enclosure aswell also traded the blondi as it was waaaaaay too aggressive and scared the living snot outta me plus i love the aboural spicies!) its about 2 inches if that its a cute lil thing but very very very fast! i will get some decent pics up of its enclosure and the spider itself and give a bit more info once its settled! Thanks again for all the info guys! apprciate it!

Stuie

Arachnopeon
yeah it probly is but if this guy is still around im just thanking him and the others for there bit of info they gave! just showing my apprciation