Tap vs. Bottled water

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
But at least your argument appears a bit logical, as opposed to Arocknid's :)
hey whats wrong with arocknid's , its to the point, and without a lot of hoop-la;P

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
[]Kaliningrad[];900151 said:
hey whats wrong with arocknid's , its to the point, and without a lot of hoop-la;P
only thing wrong with it is if he is tryig to convince someone of soethig you just can say this is that way with out something to back it with or at least a reason you think its that way... personally i dont have a problem with it , but then i dont think its a good thing to drink or use for watering your pets.

And if you think distilled water is harsh try DeIonized lol it has nothing in it at all and man it makes your mouth feel really wierd

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was just joking and giving that Vys a hard time{D

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
filter

I use tap water, but run it through a filter (Brita-type) that removes a lot of particulates and crap. Let it sit 24 hours so it's room temp and any remaining chlorine is gone. Use it for fish, plants, T's, humans, dogs, whatever.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've always used tap water and don't think it has ever caused my T's a problem. My oldest is about 9 yrs old (P. regalis).

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
after the death of 2 blondi slings and the long illness of two large blondi juveniles I switched to distilled water. I believe its more likely infected crickets that caused the problem as the sickness (white mouth paste, not nematodes) corresponded with feeding crickets, i switched to roaches and now fine , however I also at the same time went to distilled water. The water in out area is very hard and until recently has been outside safe radium limits. I may switch to boiled then brita filtered water. Im totally not convinced that distilled water is harmful, think rain water, thats very low in dissolved substances too. as soon as you or an animal drink distilled water it mixes with your stomach contents and thus becomes 'contaminated' anyway, id have to hear a physiologist give a good explanation of why distilled water is harmful before i believe it.

in the wild I imagine T's get an occasional drink from rainwater (which will pick up substances variably)) avics will get less minerals up in a tree, whereas a T in a limey soil burrow will have more if the rain has passed through the soil.

Last edited:

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
An interesting topic. Can I ask for some opinions about aquarium water conditioner (including Zoo-med's Reptisafe, which seems like the same thing)?

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
water conditioner

Good question. I'm not familiar with the Reptisafe product, but there are dozens of different aquarium water conditioners, so you'd need to check the ingredient list pretty close. Most of them dechlorinate the water, which can also be accomplished by simply leaving the water in an inert container (no reactive metals, I use glass) for 24-48 hours. Also allows water to come to room temp which is good for fish, not sure if T's care. Also, many of the fish water conditioners contain additional agents aimed at (not sure if they actually work or not) maintaining the fish's slime coat. Some even contain Aloe vera gel. So, not sure they're worth the bother and expense for T drinking water- and not sure how the T would respond. Anyone know if T's like Aloe vera gel? Anxiously awaiting other opinions on this one!

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I like to go the extra mile to make it authentic, so I run my distilled water through dirt with cheese cloth underneath it. Then I like to throw some carrion in it, again - cheese cloth. Then I pee in it a little. Then filter that a few times. Just like water from back home.

Preemptive reaction: IT'S JUST A JOKE! Geez.

Tons of their water comes from their food anyway. So much of it depends on what water their food had.

I don't think it is necessary to micro manage. Think about it all. The food you feed. What was fed to them? The dirt they are on...etc.

Last edited:

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just Filtered tap water here. I may try distilled for misting, only because those spots look horrid on what was priorly clean looking glass.