Tap or Poec?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Thinking about my next tarantula...the two that really come to mind are a T. gigas or a P. subfusca. Been working with my Psalmos for a while so I am pretty used to the speed (my P. cam is like lightning) but obviously a Pokie is a change in venom toxicity. Thoughts?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
How comfortable would you feel with the speed of a Tap, or the venom of a Poec? Poecs aren't very defensive, so bites aren't that common, but they do still carry that venom. Taps are blinding fast, but not defensive, and weak(ish) venom. It's honestly up to what you're most comfortable with.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Good points. I only have one OW currently but I have always treated every T like they are potent, even my B. smithi. I don't have a problem with speed, as my two Psalmos and my GBB have given me plenty of it. Its more a question of the venom. I'm very careful so I don't think that would be a big issue, but its still something to be accounted for.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'll put a vote in for the Tappies. Yes, they are fast, and can be nervous, but they are gorgeous. I have a T.violaceus, and the purple is stunning.
Make sure there are lots of plants in the enclosure though, or else it will go into hiding, making dirt curtains.
Everyone has or wants pokies...not a lot of tappies here in the Netherlands, so I would always choose them over pokies. And besides, if your T.gigas goes running, at least it is highly visible in orange :p

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't own any taps but I have a number of poecs. I really like the two P.subfusca Ts I got a few weeks back. I have found that if you give them time when you first get them to build a safe spot then they are not as quick to run or be flighty when you work with them.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
dont own any taps as well. but ive never had a issue with Poecilotheria since i started keeping them 1 and a half years ago. go for the Poecilotheria.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Ok, so second question. As far as Pokies, is it better to get a sling as a first one or a juvie/sub-adult?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Ok, so second question. As far as Pokies, is it better to get a sling as a first one or a juvie/sub-adult?
From what I have seen they are not fragile like Avics so with the experience you have sings would be fine.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I hope you don't mind me derailing a little...but I am wondering why Tappies are so unpopular in the hobby. Is it just because of speed?
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I can't understand that venom concern. Venom potency matters only in the case of a bite (I hate to state obvious things, but) so try to avoid bites. It's simple. End of the story. If you think that you can deal with their speed (and only you knows that) I say why not? If you like more the 'Pokie' go for one man.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I hope you don't mind me derailing a little...but I am wondering why Tappies are so unpopular in the hobby. Is it just because of speed?
Can anyone shed some light on this?
I've got a few on the list but I've not found them at a price that caught my eye yet. I found some really good deals on poec though.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
Good points. I only have one OW currently but I have always treated every T like they are potent, even my B. smithi. I don't have a problem with speed, as my two Psalmos and my GBB have given me plenty of it. Its more a question of the venom. I'm very careful so I don't think that would be a big issue, but its still something to be accounted for.
That's pretty much my attitude since i kept scorpions I collected when I was 10. people always ask how venomous they are and if venomous be extra careful. truth is I don't care how venomous it is. I don't want to get bitten, don't care if its a B smithi or a S calceatum. I don't want it biting me so I take the same amount of care not to get bit. So the bigger concern for me is the speed. That's how I decided which species to get and when.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't have a problem with my P rufi slings at all. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting a sling, not like Avics Tim.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've got a few on the list but I've not found them at a price that caught my eye yet. I found some really good deals on poec though.
This for me. I can't wait to get a Tapi but it seems like whenever I'm in the market for a new T, they're not really available or for a decent price.

I do love my regalis though, she's so much fun (out constantly and has a fantastic appetite) but I cant wait until the stars align and I can get my T. gigas.