Tap keepers.

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I seem to be falling in love with every pic of a Tap that I see, but I'm having a hard time finding much info on what they're like. Anyone who keeps these guys let me know. They're gorgeous! Personality? Speed? Ease of care? Bear in mind, I don't mind aggression at all, I just want the lowdown. Thanks guys. Also, any input on how to pronounce Tapinauchenius?!!!:eek:

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can't tell you much, but just like you, I fell in love with T gigas, and on 7/18 I got two from Swift. They are 1/2" slings and were pretty easy (so far) to transfer from their shipping containers into their current pill vials.

They eat ALOT, I fed them on the day that they arrived and chomp, the crix were gone. I feed them 3x a week, and so far they have eaten every time.

I just can't wait til they get to 2" at least.

Good luck if you decide to pick them up.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a 1.5 inch T. gigas, lovely color! I can say moderate growth rate. I don't have any difficulty feeding it. I just noticed that it is on the ground most of the time, but this could change when it is bigger. It is not as fast or skittish as I was expecting it to be. I'd say pretty much like my P. regalis.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I seem to be falling in love with every pic of a Tap that I see, but I'm having a hard time finding much info on what they're like. Anyone who keeps these guys let me know. They're gorgeous! Personality? Speed? Ease of care? Bear in mind, I don't mind aggression at all, I just want the lowdown. Thanks guys. Also, any input on how to pronounce Tapinauchenius?!!!:eek:
Again generalities are what you will get when you ask for how a species is. Genrality-wise most Taps are skittish and quick. Staying near their webs and bolting for a hide if disturbed. "Aggresion" wise The ones I've seen were more of a flight over bite type of Tarantula much like a pokie or psalmo. So chances are you will get something along those lines if you purchase one, but you may get one that is out in view all the time or perhaps not skittish. Depends on the individual.

Good luck they are wicked T's!

{Tap-in-uh-keen-ee-us}

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have an adult female,she's very skittish and alittle on the aggressive side,very easy to keep,she webs alot i keep her dry/waterdish big corkhide,awesome spiders:clap:

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for all the input and links guys. Unfortunately I couldn't get into arborealtarantulas.org without registering, and they're apparently taking no new registrations! I'll have to check back later.