Tanzanian Electric Blue Centipede!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow very cool! how big is it? that's 1 sp. i don't have,where did ya get it? if you don't mind me asking:)

SgrigS

Arachnopeon
It is about 7 inches and i got it from a local reptile store they dont even know the proper name so i guess i have to find that out Not bad for a first pede huh???

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone know the proper name to this guy?
Hi,

Maybe an Ethostigmus sp. (blue leg). ;) Take care with the mites on It (clearly visible on the "dinner time" pic..those small dots on the edges of the tergites)!! :rolleyes:
BTW nice pede. :clap:

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
Looks a lot like my Scolopendra morsitans

I got 3, housed together. they're 5-6" now and voracious feeders.

they eat about anything; beetles, woodliche, earwigs, snails, slugs, even earthworms. so I keep em on a thick layer of rotten wood, leaves, humus etc; all mixed up.
their tank looks like a compostheap ;)

AFAIK there are a fair number of different colorforms in S morsitans. some are greyish, others are blue, some have blue legs and a grey body, some even have reddish heads. mine look slate blue without much yellow. the legs are a wee bit more blue than the body.

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spracles visible on T7 and T8 so it must by Ethmostigmus, Rhysida or Alluropus.
This last one in known only from Vietnam.
Rhysida has cribriform spiracles and floor of the atrium of spiracle with raised humps.
For me it looks like some Ethmostigmus spec, but only known from Africa species of Ethmostigmus is E. trigonopodus, which AFAIK has 4 bold antenomers, this one on the photo has only 3.
But I can be wrong.

SgrigS

Arachnopeon
The Big debate of the day? I an going to get th proper name on monday from the owner of the shop. I wonder if that will even be right. Thanks everyone who is trying to help this one has me stumped too.:?

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sikk 'pede SgrigS...loving the blue meanie!!:worship:

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I also say Ethmostigmus...it looks a LOT like my trigonopodus did. Cacoseroph or Steven should be able to help...and yes, do something about those mites :O

also, don't be surprised if the shop owner gives you an incorrect ID...it wouldn't be the first time.

SgrigS

Arachnopeon
Yea i called the shop and they said they would get back to me.:rolleyes: Thanks again what do you think the best way to deal with the mites??? Since it is my problem now???:mad:

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
I don't know how the situation's there, but here you can buy "predatory mites".

they use those to keep certain vegetables clear of parasitic mite-species.
biological agriculture.

they are also bred and sold to clear bloodmites of Bearded Dragons and the like.

these work like a charm! I once had a very bad mite-plague in most cages; the beetles I kept then (Eudicella and Smaragdestes) were covered in them and my Archimandrita colony suffered bably too.

a dose of these will do fine! I even had great success cleaning youn g tarantula's with predator mites....they climb on anything and kill off any other mite they can find. all without using any poison whatsoever. and yes, they root around in the ground for prey too.

the only mite I've seen so far that has a partly resistance to em is the big red commensal mite that's comnon on the Giant African Millipede (achispirostreptus gigas)

SgrigS

Arachnopeon
Thanks sid I live in southern california can you get them here where did you get yours?

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Centi

Hello,
Keep your centi in dryer conditions, change the substrate for new and try not to keep uneaten food in the container.
regards

Where did you find it?
Which Pet Store?
WHich State?

regards
FT

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
man, i'd love to get 1 i had 1 similar(or maybe the same sp.) to that 1 they called it "giant blueleg" it was about 7 yrs ago they were availible at the time,mine got to 8" and was very thick. a very awesome pede:clap:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
yeah, dry conditions generally kill off mites...but don't let it go TOO long in a dry environment. However, speaking from personal experience with my E. trigonopodus...3-4 weeks without any misting or other humidifying agents won't quite kill them, but the 'pede won't like it much either, thought I had accidentally killed it when I did it to mine (long story, it's posted on the forum...if you want to read about it you can do a search for "trigonopodus" and my screen name). Although, predatory mites would be a much safer alternative.