Tanzania Black Bird Eater???

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks like Pterinochilus chordatus. I've got one that was purchased as a "Chocolate Baboon".
Very feisty. I keep mine similar to my P. murinus.
Great webbers!
Good luck!
Ralph

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers Ralph,

Yeah ive looked up some pics of Pterinochilus chordatus, it does seem be this species.

They going at £4 for slings (2cm), that seem like a good price?

Might well order one of these next week, looking to ordering an 6cm 'usumbara' too for £9

Im gonna sort out 2 new tanks this weekend first though.

thanks again,

Stu.

edit - oh yeah - they guy also has Pterinochilus Lagarde for sale - these kept in the same way?

Last edited:

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm not familiar with P. lagarde, but I would expect all the P. sp. to be kept similar.
I'm not sure of the exchange rate, but I paid $20 for my adult female P. chordatus. Her name is "Cocoa" and she is one of my favorites. I am trying to locate a male to breed her with this summer, but unfortunately this species is not readily available in America.
I think you'll enjoy both the tarantulass you mention. I've had great success with P. murinus and got an eggsac last winter. I ended up with 126 spiderlings which have been a real experience to raise. I've still got 25 left and they are all molting to 6th instar and are around 2 inches.
Good luck and keep us posted on your new arrivals.
Ralph
P.S. By the way, these tarantulas have real attitude and will readily bite. Definately not a handleable spider. They also have a fairly bad bite from what I've read in the bite reports. Fortunatly I've not had mine actively try and get me. They are more prone to stay hidden if possible.
Good Luck!

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by stu

edit - oh yeah - they guy also has Pterinochilus Lagarde for sale - these kept in the same way?
Pterinochilus lugardi are found across the northern part of southern Africa, also in East Africa, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Their altitudinal level is between sea level and 1450 m.

They line their burrows with silk.

They often come in under the name of Dodoma baboon.

Best wishes,

Paul