Tanks or Containers

Tanks or Tubberware/Steralite containers?

• Total voters

iucandi

Arachnopeon
A. Seemanni tank

A. Seemanni (Nicaraguan Zebra)
-10 gallon tank
-4" coconut substrate
-a log hide
-fake plants for hiding
-real plant
-small flower pot

Attachments

Last edited:

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I only use glass tanks. I keep every T in my livingroom and I like designer stuff. I made a tarantula wall with 25 exactly the same glass containers. I stilll need 3 spiders to get all my tanks filled. It just looks nicer than a container but thats a matter of taste. The only disadvantage is the price.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think I'll be the first one to say in this thread that I use kritter keepers. I don't find them hard at all to work with, even for arboreals.

I use CD spindles for more than a few of my slings, but the majority go into vials or such.

The one exception is my scolopendra heros arizonensias and my female C. crawshayi that is arriving on thursday.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just to add a thought to Cheshire's post.

I always keep all the vials and containers the tarantulas arrive in when they're shipped to me.

Wash em out and reuse for my slings and juveniles.

Also, if I need to pack and ship my own out.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im starting to get more and more containers, alltho i only have a few right now..
my thing is, tanks are just to expensive... thats what realy burns a hole in my pocket... i usly spend nearly as much on the tank and set up as the animal itself..
allso, tanks take up lots of room, i can spend 3$ on a nice size container*good enofe for an adult* or i can spend 11 on a tank, plus 10-15 more on a top...
the tanks with the slide in tops that lock, cost around 30...
i still will use tanks for my emp colony and roaches, but besides my display animals im done with tanks..

tarangela2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How Cold?

Sounds good I think I can manage. The lowest temps have been the overnight drops which have dropped as low as the 30s. However, things are warming up here in Riverside lately and plus my bedroom is frequently toasty too. Maybe I am fretting too much and just need a space heater for the colder winter nights.

All my Ts are going to be occupying two or three maybe four shelves in my bedroom.
we just endured sub-zero temps with no adverse effects on my T. no special heater or lamp, we were comfortable so i figured the T was too

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
we just endured sub-zero temps with no adverse effects on my T. no special heater or lamp, we were comfortable so i figured the T was too
That is most reassuring and comforting. Frankly, I don't care if I suffer as long as my Ts don't LOL!

But since we share the same room at night, everything is okey-dokey.

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
tanks or containers?

I use a combination of everything glass, KK, and plastic
this is what my desk looks like.

Warren

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I started with containers, right off the bat, with my first pair of slings. Now I don't even see them as the cheap option, but the standard. I only ever kept one tarantula in a plastic KK-style tank, and that was because the tank came with it, from a guy who couldn't look after it any longer.

The main advantage for me is price, especially in pound shops where the biggest are rarely above £3 (US$6), a fraction of the price of similar-sized plastic tanks. Also the range of shapes and sizes I've been able to find, from 1" cubed pots to 12x12x6" cake boxes and tall 8x8x12" tubs. A few drilled holes, sometimes a bit of mesh, Bob's yer uncle.

It's sad to say that at this point, I'm almost a connoisseur of plastic food tubs. What kind of person would mourn the passing of Beaufort products from the shelves? :razz: I tend to like them simple, steering away from rubbery lids and bulky or extraneous moulding; although I am becoming fond of the type with clip-on lids, like Addis' Clip and Close range. I've kept a couple of Avicularias for a while in the 1.6L rectangles (5.5x4x6"), and I've adapted a couple more for burrowing scorps:

Attachments

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Everything we have is in either kks or 10 gallon aquariums, except sling who are in deli cups or pill vials.
We have never had any problems, they are easy to stack, move and open during feedings.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Both, but more tanks than containers. Used to be the other way around.....

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very nice guys! Keep em coming! HOw many of you use flower pot hides instead of natural hides, or vice versa?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Flower pots are an excellent idea as long as one does not drop an heavy object on them (highly unlikely though) but so far I have forked out $5-10 for a hideaway log.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
FOr all you with Containers and not tanks, what Kind of containers do you use for your arboreals?

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
for arboreal and burrowing slings i use rubbermaid 1 gallon and .5 gallon containers, and a few odd ball containers all depending on size then for 2.5+ also depending on size (for terrestrials) they get exo-terra plastic tanks. once my arboreals get bigger they will be switched to tarantulacages, heres some pics

rubbermaid containers

different containers

racks with exo-terro tanks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the sweater boxes at the container store look pretty adequate for both terrestrial and arboreal adult T's:cool:

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i use mostly kk's or glass fish tanks
for the fish tanks i make my own lids. I also use glad ware containers for some of my slings

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry no pic, I found early on that my PC has problems posting images here plus I don't have the ability yet to just upload a pic on here.
I have one, so it's a tank holding a Pinktoe with Peat Moss for the sub with items for the web.