Tanks or Containers

Tanks or Tubberware/Steralite containers?

• Total voters

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is kinda like the thread of the enclosures, but this is a poll.
I was wondering how many of you fellow arachnid keepers keep your Ts in tanks or tubberware/steralite containers. I keep all but one in steralite
containers, and thats my C.marshalli, she gets a 10 gal. I use to keep all Ts in tanks, but that was space consuming and getting expensive so I changed to steralite containers.

1. Pick the either tank or tubberware type on the list.
2. Show pictures of the tubberware/tank and the inside.
3. Details about your containers(measurements, what is houses, etc.)

I will have my pics up soon.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am upgrading to exoterra glass tanks, atm i dont intend to have more than 30 at any point, as i mainly keep Theraphosa blondi and T apophysis. I would like to have them all on equal display, im kinda one of these people that likes everything looking uniform. It is expensive tho.
Iv got some pics of my enclosures that i have customised, but have loads of plain ones, i just dont like them plain so i havent got many pics of them, seeing the glass sides to an otherwise nice and semi- naturalistic tank kinda detracts from the image.
This 1st one isnt 100% comp yet needs much work still

this is another of the exo terras.. the 'small' tall one

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here are the containers I keep all but one of my Ts in.

They are appro. 9"x9"x16"(HxWxL). Basically all adult Ts can fit in these, except probably T.blondi. I keep Ts from P.murinus to L.parahybana in these. All females of course. The males are in the same type of container, just smaller in all dimensions, Juvies are kept in the smaller ones as well. The big ones go around $3 and the smaller ones $1 at Walmart.

Here are the insides to some of the containers.
Chromatopelma cyanopubescens

Heteroscorda maculata

Brachypelma emilia

My female Ceratogyrus marshalli is kept in this(10 gal. tank) which is appro.
12"x10"x20"(HxWxL). She is kept in the 10 gal. becuase she is by far my most favorite T.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The majority of people starting the hobby say they'll never use containers but eventually end up on them. I have more containers than tanks but I also have more slings and juves than adults, tanks don't come in their sizes.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep my scorpions in tupperware-style containers, all the Ts and pedes are in tanks, mostly KKs, a couple glass.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, iv been in the hobby nearly 8 or 9 years in total, with one G rosea for a couple of years. Iv bought approx 20 odd tanks so far, small aquariums , through selling them off it puts some money towards exoterra tanks. I take just as much time over the tanks i keep them all in as the inhabitants, lol
Only recently have i had the means to customise, and the exoterra tanks are reletively recent a design

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I prefer for all of my animals to be "display" animals. I want the habitats themselves to look nice, which means all the enclosures need to be CLEAR so the habitats can be seen. At the same time, I want the shelves to look nice enough to add something to the room and not be an eyesore. I try to make the tanks as uniform as possible, choosing a couple consistent sizes to house juvies and adults. Repetition is an important element of design, afterall. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use to want all my animals on display, but over time I think that goes away, maybe not for some, but for me it did. Mostly because I'm more into breeding now. Therefore, I don't care how they are housed just as long as they meet the requirements I'm just as happy as they are.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use both, but at the moment mostly tanks but it is getting expensive when you consider the other essentials you need to drop money on to provide the T a healthy and happy habitat.

In addition to the actual purchase of juvenile, subadult, and adult T I am automatic dishing out another $50-100.

I don't know but might be forced to convert once again to containers (which I am abit leery on maintaining proper temperatures).

It has slowed my invert purchasing sadly but when the T arrives to it's new home it looks awesome on display.

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lmao well i have mine in wonton soup cups untill there big enough to get transfered to tiny kritter keepers.. you can pick the containers up from the nearest China Spot .. they gave me them for free.. even though it would be nice if you DID buy wonton soup lol..

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i don't have a lot of t's but once i got past the 20 mark containers just seemed a lot more practical. i keep most of my sub-adult/adult t's in containers, i keep 5 adults in exo-terra display cages (not like you ever see them though! they all hide) and then my young t's i keep in plastic containers or kritter keepers and i keep my s'lings in plastic containers inside of a large kritter keeper.

main shelf

display cages (minus the arboreal one)
i don't have any fake plants so they look pretty boring usually

babies

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those of you that keep your Ts in containers, how do you deal with overnight temperature drops?

OR maintain a consistant comfortable tarantula temperatures?

I know I am going to convert to containers eventually and want some hints.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i usually don't have to deal with temp. drops. i live in az so its usually always hot and when its cold i turn into a huge baby and the heater is always on. i've never seen it go below 72 inside at night (durring winter) and durring the summer i'm lucky if its 80 inside at night.
the only thing i keep heat for is my snake, everything else does pretty well

i was reading a way old tarantula keeping guide at a petstore once and they showed t's in containers on a shelf with some sort of heat line going through it, it sounded pretty high tec and i didn't really get it but i'm sure someone in a cooler part of the world knows how to handle something like this

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think the containers hold better heat then the tanks. Just use a portable heater, sometimes(when I dont use heater) temps get to low 60s and they are all fine. Whats the coldest it gets there?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
IMO the only thing a kritter keeper is good for is desert scorpions

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think the containers hold better heat then the tanks. Just use a portable heater, sometimes(when I dont use heater) temps get to low 60s and they are all fine. Whats the coldest it gets there?
Sounds good I think I can manage. The lowest temps have been the overnight drops which have dropped as low as the 30s. However, things are warming up here in Riverside lately and plus my bedroom is frequently toasty too. Maybe I am fretting too much and just need a space heater for the colder winter nights.

All my Ts are going to be occupying two or three maybe four shelves in my bedroom.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IMO the only thing a kritter keeper is good for is desert scorpions
agreed. i'm only working with 2 at the moment and i hate them, i only use them when i run out of plastic containers and need a quick place to put a t thats getting too big for its previous container until i can make a new one.

they're hard to keep humidity in and those tops are very unpredictable

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
all my slings are in containers. the only T that isnt in a container is my g. rosea. it is in a tank sitting on my dresser.