tank size

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i bet this has been answered before, but bear with me.
I plan to get A.genic in the not-so-far future for display in exo-terra tank. Which one is best for mature genic?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i bet this has been answered before, but bear with me.
I plan to get A.genic in the not-so-far future for display in exo-terra tank. Which one is best for mature genic?
I'd get the biggest the one with the least amount of height.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so the 24x18x18 should be fine? would it be comfortable in 18x18x18 (all measurements in inches)?

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dont use an exoterra, all of them have huge heights, the front only comes up part way so you have a long way down for the T. They are great for arboreals but not really suited for terrestrials like A Genic.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so the 24x18x18 should be fine? would it be comfortable in 18x18x18 (all measurements in inches)?
The 18x18x18 should work, but they are all so tall(I forgot), that maybe it wouldn't be the best thing to use. A custom built tank would probably end up better, or there was a way where you can remove the background and block the door so you can fill it up higher and use the top as the door.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hm, may be I will get a custom tank instead.
I don't think an arboreal T would work well for a display setup with waterfall.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hm, may be I will get a custom tank instead.
I don't think an arboreal T would work well for a display setup with waterfall.
Nah it wouldn't. I tend to find that arboreals aren't nearly as visible as terrestrials.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so anybody know what's the best place to get a suitable tank for a genic and 9" tall waterfall?

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you would probably need to wait till the Genic is full grown and then just use a 10 gallon tank to be honest. 9" tall is something I wouldnt want a juvie falling since it could hurt itself.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a 5.5gal slide lid works just fine.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you would probably need to wait till the Genic is full grown and then just use a 10 gallon tank to be honest. 9" tall is something I wouldnt want a juvie falling since it could hurt itself.
What if he is buying an adult? I don't think he ever said he was buying a sling or juvie. I understand your concern though.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i figured if the purchase was an adult the would mention it.

If you use a 5.5 gallon they are only 10.5" high so that doesnt leave much room with a 9" tall waterfall. At least a 10 gallon gives you 12" to work with, thats why i recommended a 10 gallon, but otherwise a 5 gallon would work, just i assum a 9" tall waterfall might also take up a decent amount of ground space

Actually if your making it display and you can find one, i would use a 15 gallon high. so you can still add enough dirt to give it room to dig around if it likes.

10 gallon = 24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4 (LxWxH)
15 gallon high = 20 1/4 x 10 1/2 x 18 3/4 (LxWxH)

So then you can add about 9" of dirt to dig in, and still have 9" above ground for your waterfall. and then the 10" wide by 20" long is fine for a Genic.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, Midnight,

the larger exo-terra is 24x18x18, which seems about right. Although if you know where to get cheap 15 gallons, let me know :).

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the only reason the exo terra isnt good is because the front has a lip of i would say about 5 inches top, so you can only have about 5" of substrate so its a 13" fall.

The link from 138 seems to be perfect though so that whould work fine

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think an exo terra would work fine, when my girl was around she would never climb the walls, she was always out and about but on the ground. also you could have some branches or plants so that if she did fall she would not be hurt.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rydog, wouldn't branches hurt a falling spider?
I am not sure I want to risk a tall setup for a terrestrial, unless some experts chime in :).

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use a 12x12x18 for my arboreal. I only use 3" of substrate and some moss. I would recommend a 12x12x12 for terrestrial.