Tank size for full grown T's

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Hey all, i was wondering if a 10-gallon tank split in half would be suitable size for an A. seemani and a G. rosea, both around 4.5 inches?? Would this be too small? or would it be allright seeing as how they never move around anyway;) Let me know of your thoughts on this.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think its small, not too small. but small for full grown Ts...Im not sure on this though, sorry:eek:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just go to your nearest Dollar Store and get a couple plastic sweater boxes. Much cheaper and much lighter than that 10 gallon tank

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
in my oppinion that would be a little small. i keep mine in ten gallon tanks. i think as i get more t's i may be forced to use smaller cages. if your going to keep 30 or 40 t's larger tanks would be impossible. years back i kept a g. rosea in a 75 gallon fish tank. she done great and seemed to enjoy roaming at night.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just go to your nearest Dollar Store and get a couple plastic sweater boxes. Much cheaper and much lighter than that 10 gallon tank
Much,much safer as well- there are plenty of horror stories about T's eating each other because people split a tank and didn't think the T's could get to each other! They can get through incredibly small spaces!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep my spiders in tanks four times their area. Twice their legspan to and from, twice side to side. This gives them enough room to hunt, burrow and generally do whatever.

Here's a pic of my lividium's enclosure. She spends most of her time in her burrow which isn't even her legspan wide:

The angle is kind of funny. Normally, I have to shoot from the top down, but I was shooting from an upward angle and this made the tank look like a friggin limo.

The lid is in the middle of the tank, so this gives you an idea of how big the tank is.

Spiders spend most of their time in burrows or in hiding in the wild, so I don't really think adults need a whole lot of room. I'd reccomend using the proportions you used for slings, and factor in a water dish.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use a 10 gallon for just my 4 inch Aphonopelma seemani.
I don't think that's too much room, but just enough. :]

And I don't necessarily mind the price, but I'm sure acquiring 10 gallons for the people who keep extreme amounts of tarantulas would be a little on the expensive side.

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
t. blondi in 10 gallon a. seemani, g. rosea, a. anax in 12x12x12 exo-terra

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
IMHO half a 10 gal is plenty of space, I have 5" t's in 2.5 gal's and some barely utilize all of it. This is an ongoing debate that has no definative answer. Some T's seem to take advantage of 'extra' space more than others, some situate themselves into a corner or hole and never wander. Arboreals need ceiling height, burrowers substrate depth, terrestrials floor space but other than that it's more about asthetics and what you like.

Bill

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends on the T. if it is prone to enjoy wandering around their cage, then yes, a larger tank would benefit it. If it prefers to be a pet rock or a pet hole, then no need to waste a ton of space on them. Each T is an invidividual. I had a rosea at work we kept in a cage that was 24 D x 27 W x 12 H... she liked wandering around and exploring. I have a smithi that is the same size as the rosea was and she's in a medium critter cage 7 D x 14 W x 6 H.. she more or less likes being a pet rock.