Tank Q

VxXDJXxV

Arachnopeon
Im going to order 3 Ts at the same time. They are all under an inch and i know that they can get stressed out with a large cage. I have a 20 gal tank i want to convert into 3 spaces. each space will each be about 10 by 12 do you think that is still to big for a 1/2 or 1/4 sling???

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would suggest not dividing tanks. Usually, you end up with one dead and one fat tarantula, expecially at that size. 10 by 12 is large for under an inch. Just get vials or use some small tupperware with small holes.

ScorpionFanatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im going to order 3 Ts at the same time. They are all under an inch and i know that they can get stressed out with a large cage. I have a 20 gal tank i want to convert into 3 spaces. each space will each be about 10 by 12 do you think that is still to big for a 1/2 or 1/4 sling???
Very much so. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=86765 Here are some of the things I use for my tiny slings.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When my T's are that size they stay in viles. Then eventually when they get bigger they go into deli cups that you can get at various sizes. I don't put them in tanks/critter keepers until they are larger. It's very hard on slings to have too much space. They need enough to move around a little and be able to flip onto their backs to molt.

VxXDJXxV

Arachnopeon
I would suggest not dividing tanks. Usually, you end up with one dead and one fat tarantula, expecially at that size. 10 by 12 is large for under an inch. Just get vials or use some small tupperware with small holes.
What about if i divided it in to 4 which would be 7.5in by 12.......and i actually have divided a 20gal in to 2 with plexy glass for my other Ts. The divider goes all the way to the top.......im not sure how one would die and one would get fat??

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Yes its way too big. One your sling will have hell of time catch its prey (for all you who ar going to say what about outdoors thats alot more space, number of insects in nature per square foot is far higher than what would be provided in an enclosure).

Two you would have a very real possibility of losing your slings. First many slings burrow, second it may be possible to seal up a large tank to sufficiently keeep adult ts seperated and in the enclosure, near impossible to do that for a 1/4 sling.

Usually the vial they come it will be sufficient for them until they get bigger. If you want you get smaller cubes From Michael's, Container store or other craft store.

Good luck with the slings

VxXDJXxV

Arachnopeon
When my T's are that size they stay in viles. Then eventually when they get bigger they go into deli cups that you can get at various sizes. I don't put them in tanks/critter keepers until they are larger. It's very hard on slings to have too much space. They need enough to move around a little and be able to flip onto their backs to molt.
When do you think they are big eneough to go in a small tank

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When do you think they are big eneough to go in a small tank
Depends on what type of T you have. When they reach the 2" mark that's when I usually move them up to the appropriate size of housing.

bkirchner81

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:cool:

hey man- just DO IT!!! If you can seal each division well enough-

---Vx- you will have to monitor things more carefully- you don't want a healthy, hungry cricket hiding in a crevice waiting for your sling to molt so it can injure or kill it- OR a dead cricket rotting away under a fake plant for that matter- it will require a bit more maintenance but I say the extra care is worth it for a 'happy' T.

**Also make sure the sling has places to hide- I believe the "large enclosure = stressed out theory may be quite accurate if the T has nowhere it can go to feel safe, so make sure it can dive into a hole or under a curled leaf if need be.

-fellas- a tarantula can find live prey in a space MUCH bigger than you may think. What do you think they DO with all that sensitivity? :?

It will most likely happen at night- when everything else is quiet, but it WILL happen.

It seems too many on this board are glad to just throw prey animals right on top of their T's and watch them attack and eat it. Don't you guys think the predator would be better off, possibly less stressed, if it had to actually hunt or stalk prey- on it's own terms? I really don't like the idea of placing your T in a confrontational situation so often, maybe thats just me....

Fire away Breeder Nation! haha! ;P

Last edited: