Tank locking

TRection

Arachnoknight
I just finished modifying 2 reptile tanks with acrylic lids with holes in them, i cut the lids PERFECTLY to fit the inner rim of the tank lid so there is a slight pressure fit when opening and closing but i want to be sure the tanks cant be opened. I have been searching for a good way to lock the tanks and i was told magnets work very well, but the only ones i can find are larger than i would like and are circular so they wouldn't work well for me. I also thought about attaching Velcro or something like that to the outside but i want the tanks to keep their clean and simple look without extra straps or anything like that. The magnets would have been perfect if i had access to the ones i needed :/ any suggestions?

Snapchat-1431102839.jpg

Last edited:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
You could try these plastic tubing straps and glue two parallel to each other 1 on the lid and 1 on the frame then use that to put a small padlock or carabiner on 20170503_183348.png

I know you said no straps put it's all I could think of.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
The T :) my first T is coming in a few days so im just preparing the tank, im not sure how strong they are or if they are even able to lift a lid im just going by my experience with lizards and snakes haha. (those magnets are perfect thank you!)
Ok well thats exciting :) what are you getting. Also if all else fails you can always put something heavy on the lid like a mug lol.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Ok well thats exciting :) what are you getting. Also if all else fails you can always put something heavy on the lid like a mug lol.
haha yeah im thinking ill probably have to do that until i can come up with a solution, and its a 3.5 A.Genic :) i cant wait!

Devin B

Arachnobaron
haha yeah im thinking ill probably have to do that until i can come up with a solution, and its a 3.5 A.Genic :) i cant wait!
I recently got a 1/2 inch A. Genic sling. I love how they look and I've read that they attack prey like tanks.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Im not quite sure i understand what you mean
OK so bear with me here and sorry for my ugly model so pretend that the sheet of paper is the acrylic the folded cutout paper are the pipe straps and the tank is well... the tank so just glue them like this so you can put a clamp on to lock the aquarium.

20170503_185652.jpg

TRection

Arachnoknight
OK so bear with me here and sorry for my ugly model so pretend that the sheet of paper is the acrylic the folded cutout paper are the pipe straps and the tank is well... the tank so just glue them like this so you can put a clamp on to lock the aquarium.

View attachment 239117
OOOH ok now i see what you mean, that might work but i would need one on each side as the lid doesnt have hinges or anything the whole lid can be lifted off, i was also thinking of the tiny metal swiveling things on the back of picture frames, they might work but would require alot of effort to install and cut grooves into the plastic.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I just ordered some magnets off amazon, hopefully they get here before the T does lol :embarrassed:

TRection

Arachnoknight
Great looking lids. Looks very professional
:D thank you! it took me forever to cut without scratching it and just as long to measure out all the wholes haha (i normally end up scratching the hell out of it) for once the acrylic was cooperative with me :rofl:

Last edited:

TRection

Arachnoknight
Ill take a picture once everything is set up with the sub and everything, im going to be using the smaller of the 2 tanks instead of my original 11x11x11, i feel like these ones look nicer and ill be able to add more sub to this one as well. Im going to use peat moss this time instead of coco fiber :)

Haemus

Arachnosquire
OOOH ok now i see what you mean, that might work but i would need one on each side as the lid doesnt have hinges or anything the whole lid can be lifted off, i was also thinking of the tiny metal swiveling things on the back of picture frames, they might work but would require alot of effort to install and cut grooves into the plastic.
How about securing headless bolts on the inside corners of the tank with corresponding holes in the lid. That way, the lid fits snug onto the bolts, and you can use nuts or lugs to secure the lid in transport?

TRection

Arachnoknight
How about securing headless bolts on the inside corners of the tank with corresponding holes in the lid. That way, the lid fits snug onto the bolts, and you can use nuts or lugs to secure the lid in transport?
Thats a great idea too! i ordered magnets from amazon however, but if things dont turn out well you just gave me a solid plan B, thanks :D

TRection

Arachnoknight
Glad I could help. Keep us posted on the construction too :)
:) will do! on a side note for gluing the magnets on what should i use, i have gorilla glue, silicone, contact cement, hot glue, what would work best for gluing metal to plastic? I'm thinking gorilla glue and then sealing up any gaps made by the new height added by the magnets with silicone.

Last edited: