Tank height for large Ts.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I have a shoebox container I use for most of my Ts that are juvies (2"-3.5"). I'm housing my ~6.5" LP in one of those containers. The height is about 4", maybe 3.5". Is this okay for when they're molting? I'd assume so since they molt in burrows with less room.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
What do you mean by shoe box ? If you are referring to a Sterilite 6 quart container (13 5/8" L x 8 1/4" W x 4 7/8" ) then no that is not the size I would go with . I would recommend either the 16 quart ( 16 3/4" L x 11 7/8" W x 7" H ) or the 28 quart ( 23" L x 16 1/4" W x 6" H ) . The later being the size that normally use for adult LPs .

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
What do you mean by shoe box ? If you are referring to a Sterilite 6 quart container (13 5/8" L x 8 1/4" W x 4 7/8" ) then no that is not the size I would go with . I would recommend either the 16 quart ( 16 3/4" L x 11 7/8" W x 7" H ) or the 28 quart ( 23" L x 16 1/4" W x 6" H ) . The later being the size that normally use for adult LPs .
She's getting a rehouse soon! I don't know what brand it is, but the dimensions are about the same. The tank I'm looking at for the upgrade has the same height as what she's already in. I'm also thinking of using those smaller boxes for my <5.5" Ts like my porteri and one of my Chilobrachys who webs, but doesn't burrow.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
She's getting a rehouse soon! I don't know what brand it is, but the dimensions are about the same. The tank I'm looking at for the upgrade has the same height as what she's already in. I'm also thinking of using those smaller boxes for my <5.5" Ts like my porteri and one of my Chilobrachys who webs, but doesn't burrow.
I generally give my LPs a tad bit more leg room then other species as they seem to like strolling around .

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I love to offer to bulky, big, NW terrestrials always floor space (from 30 to 40 cm, depends) and not that much of height. Always with at least 5/6 inches of substrate, you never know if they feel/have the need for burrow a bit :-s

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Thanks! I'm interpreting these as the tank height is good! I find that for most species, extra substrate is a waste. The only species I have that use them is one of my curly hairs.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks! I'm interpreting these as the tank height is good! I find that for most species, extra substrate is a waste. The only species I have that use them is one of my curly hairs.
Agreed, but you never know when they'll decide to remodel. My G. porteri has been in the same enclosure for just over two years, and she just recently started burrowing. No need to be a scrooge with substrate, right @Chris LXXIX? :p

I will agree with you, though. People preach about having plenty of substrate for the likes of L. parahybana and T. stirmi, yet neither one of mine have ever even excavated.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Well, I give them more substrate when they start to burrow, but so far that's only happened two or three times.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Yeah, the one that I've had since I got in to the hobby (many years old) has never at any size showed any inclination of burrowing. Not even as a sling. But my new sling has a nice burrow going on, it's around 3/4". It'll be interesting to see if it retains that when it gets a bit larger.