Tank for Desmoxytes Planata

Louis2358

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I have ordered 2 Desmoxytes Planata that are 1cm I have made this little set up which has rotting wood and leafs etc, can anyone give me a good care guide to help please.

Thanks and stay safe
Louis

Attachments

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Asa a general rule, millipedes need as follows. An enclosure that is 2 times the width and length of the millipede and substrate as deep as the longest millipede. If your set up fits this, your set up is perfect.

As far as care, I am not 100% sure. Definitely good that you have rotting wood and leaves as this is what most millipedes feed on. Thus, this species probably feeds on rotting wood and leaves. Just make sure you use only dechlorinated water when misting the enclosure, add a calcium source like egg shells or cuttle fish bone and feed small portions of washed vegetables.

I hope you have lots of success with keeping and possibly breeding this species!

Louis2358

Arachnopeon

Asa a general rule, millipedes need as follows. An enclosure that is 2 times the width and length of the millipede and substrate as deep as the longest millipede. If your set up fits this, your set up is perfect.

As far as care, I am not 100% sure. Definitely good that you have rotting wood and leaves as this is what most millipedes feed on. Thus, this species probably feeds on rotting wood and leaves. Just make sure you use only dechlorinated water when misting the enclosure, add a calcium source like egg shells or cuttle fish bone and feed small portions of washed vegetables.

I hope you have lots of success with keeping and possibly breeding this species!
Hi thank you for the info, just gotten into millipedes, thanks and Stay safe, Louis

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I would like to note that in my experience, their cousins, Oxidus gracilis (the greenhouse millipedes) start dying off when the top layer of substrate has been completely converted into frass... From what I've heard, Desmoxytes could have the same issues, so I'd be sure to clean up the top of the substrate every now and then, and replace with fresh rotten wood, compost, crushed leaf litter, etc.