Tank Backgrounds???

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. i have really searched long and hard on this and could not find any information about this specific product. i am making an aboreal set up and really liked the look of wburke17's shown in this post:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=844244#post844244

i'm waiting to hear back from him about what he used. In the meantime i found a similar looking product called "Crab Island" by T-Rex. It is made out of natural coconut fiber. i thought it might give my new Pokie (can't wait for the mailman to get here!!!) another surface next to her cork bark to make a house. My main concern is wheather or not anyone has used this at all with T's and if they could get their claws stuck in it as they sometimes do with screens??? i most definitely won't use it if it could cause any harm to my T's.

i plan to purchase the fake rock backround that is used in the exttera (sp? sorry) tanks as they do sell it separately. However, this particular set up is round and i don't think the fake rock will work.

i'm all ears to suggestions and advice. Thanks a bunch! jules

Last edited:

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well i guess this must not be a very common product to use. However, i just heard from Warren (wburke17) and that is exactly what he uses with his Pokies & Avics with no problems what-so-ever. Also good for holding some moisture when misted which these guys like. So i am now off to set up a nice new house for my first Pokie! Thanks Warren!! jules

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you could also try making your own back walls. it's quite easy - look in the article section here on the boards, it's the article 'pimp my tank'. if you have any questions, just pm me :)

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks!!

you could also try making your own back walls. it's quite easy - look in the article section here on the boards, it's the article 'pimp my tank'. if you have any questions, just pm me :)
i'm so lame - i missed that! This site is so HUGE and loaded with tons of great information!! i will definitely check it out. i'm obviously not going to house all my T's totally decked out but i would like a few nice display tanks (and the nice display T's to go in them...LOL)

i did go ahead and use some of that coconut fiber background for hermit crabs and i really like it. Now i will check out the article you recommended and get cool ideas for future display tanks!

Thanks! jules

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use this ("Crab Island" natural coconut fiber by T-Rex) as a the background for most of my tanks and love the stuff. Only the aboreals really climb it, but it looks good.

Its been in a few tanks for over a year and hasn't seemed to cause any type of problem.

Don't bother with the little velcro pieces they provide. I hot glue it all the way around its perimeter so spiders and crickets can't go behind it.

I keep the scrap pieces (most of my tanks are 5.5 gals... its meant to cover the back of a ten gallon) for giving slings a little something to use as a tube like hide... it cuts and folds. I've also done the line the back of those little plastic cubes.

Petco has it for $2.99 for a 10"x 20" piece. Petsmart sometimes carries it too. My local pet shop sells it for $4.99. The garden store have similar stuff but the T-rex product is nice and flat... the garden store variety is meant for window boxes and hanging baskets and I never got that to lay down nicely.