Tales of Springtails-

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Over the past few weeks or so I have been seeing more and more springtails in my roach bins. Now, they are blooming, in swarms in every bin, though the roaches do not seem to be bothered by them.

Should I be concerned, change out substrate or let them be? They are greyish white, and around 2 millimeters long, maybe 3. Anyone know what happens here?:?

Thanks for your input!

ArachnO

Arachnopeon
You shouldn't be concerned much, they won't harm you much, and yes if you think of them as a nuisance, I would change the substrate. They are attracted to moist surfaces, and will reside along in puddles/swimming pools, anything that had some humidity and moistness.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You shouldn't be concerned much, they won't harm you much, and yes if you think of them as a nuisance, I would change the substrate. They are attracted to moist surfaces, and will reside along in puddles/swimming pools, anything that had some humidity and moistness.
So that explains why I've been seeing them under the sink. :D Pretty moist down there since the water slides down the sides of the pipes and stuff.

Black Widow88

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Springtails

As long as they arent a species with chemical defenses they should be alright. They are also used as feeders for dart frogs and otehr things requiring miniscule prey. They got in because either the enclosures are uncovered or the holes in the screen are too large. Micrscreens can prevent them from getting in. Thats also how flies get in. One day yo go to check on the roaches and see flies buzzing in there, much bigger than the mesh size. Because the flies lay the eggs via the screen.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW! They'd do anything to break into your house and try to rob you! :D

Black Widow88

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:eek: Well THAT explains it all now, doesn't it? Now I know why so many things around here go missing...a distinct lack of micro-mesh....

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
They are benefical as they tend to eat mold and other decaying orgaic material. Many people use them in various enclosures to help keep things clean. If you have lots of questions, you could always pm Cheshire, he is very knowledgeable about them.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I now seem to have 3 species, in countless numbers, occupying the substrate of any roach kept damp/humid (particularly with Panchlora sp.). In each tank that they are in, the roaches are thriving and the food items do not mold and/or go to waste. Also, the roaches still feed on the fruit in there even though it is semi covered in springtails so I supppose the springtails are not creating any issues! (They even made good work of an old dead Panchlora that dropped to the bottom of the terrarium....like tiny pirahnna.)