Taking the plunge

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
After years of caring for Ts- I finally went for it. My first pede, and I'm in love already. He's a little S heros castaneiceps, and he's already eating well and bulking up a bit. Right now I have him on coco fiber with a moisture gradient across the enclosure, and a hide and water dish. I've heard some people using a coco sand mix, what's the popular mix? Also seen some without water dishes, I assume they still use them if they get them though. Excuse my ignorance, show me your setups!

Attachments

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Beautiful pede! :) I don't think sand is typically used as a substrate anymore, mainly because it doesn't hold moisture very well. The ol' peat moss vermiculite mix we're all so used to with tarantulas is generally the accepted substrate for most centipedes. Good luck with your new addition!

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Centipedes will drink from water dishes, so good to have one, especially with desert species which you shouldn't be keeping at really high humidity anyway.

There was a post on facebook recently of someone's large pede dying due to intestinal blockage which was attributed to it swallowing coco fibre, and a few other people chiming in saying they have also experienced that. Though there are also 100s of pedes kept on coco which do fine, so maybe it's an anomaly?