Taking the plunge

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hi Everyone,

After much thought and some research, I finally took the plunge and bought my first ever T's.

I got two really tiny G. pulchripes. They are super cute:cat: and the price was just to good to say no. I know most newbies would rather go for larger specimens but I want to see if I can raise these up and hopefully get more joy out of it.

Here are some photos of the two new additions:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
They may be little now, but they'll grow into beasts! Nice starter T, I've got a few on order myself.

Side tip: Put in a piece of straw for a hide, especially those thick milkshake ones.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Congratulations, those are great Ts to start out with. As @EulersK said I'd give them a hide of some sort so they will feel more secure. I like to use large leaves with a starter burrow underneath.

Good luck and let us know if you have questions.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I don't own a G.pulchripes but they sure a cool looking Ts. Maybe something to pick up next time I buy Ts. If you aren't a impatient person watching slings grow is a lot of fun.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Love my G. pulchripes he wasn't a sling when I got him but still awesome the most aggressive feeding response of the Ts I have so far congrats on the new Ts

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Awesome choice great black and yellow!!!

This is my G Iheringi, same genus (family) different species (relative) lol

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Thanks everyone!
I will place a small hide into their cups as suggested. These might be my first T's, but I have a feeling there might be many more to come :D

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Thanks everyone!
I will place a small hide into their cups as suggested. These might be my first T's, but I have a feeling there might be many more to come :D
That's the curse of the hobby ;) Love G. pulchripes myself, you will have a great time raising them up. Some of the prettiest T's out there IMO. This is my 5.5 dls girl, hopefully in premolt.

Attachments

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Nice starter Ts, fastest growing of the Grammostola species, but still slow compared to other genus.
Great eaters, except premolt, rarely refuse a meal. Mine are at 3" and out all the time. As slings, were kept on slightly moistened topsoil, til 2" then dry. 1 burrowed, others didn't. A hide, water bottle cap, couple of plastic leaves and a touch of sphagnum laid about = contentment.
Enjoy the species growing up.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nice starters!!
The one in the second pic looks to be close to molting. (Dark abdomen, but could be the lighting)

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Chaco was one of my first as well, definitely a great starter T! They look awesome, well done.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
That's the curse of the hobby ;) Love G. pulchripes myself, you will have a great time raising them up. Some of the prettiest T's out there IMO. This is my 5.5 dls girl, hopefully in premolt.
Beautiful specimen! Love the cave structure in the enclosure as well.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Beautiful specimen! Love the cave structure in the enclosure as well.
Thanks! She is a little bulldozer and hasn't eaten for months. I hope she will just molt already ;) They're great, bu like @Red Eunice said, they get pretty slow to grow after they get a few inches. Beautiful pattern though, and long lived. Had the girl above for about 8 years (and that's with me and my Mom's care when I was 4, so hardy as well!)

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Awesome! I am not to worried about the growth rate as I am in it for the long haul.
I just want to build up experience with T's, get over my fear of spiders and enjoy watching them just do their thing:smug:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome choice great black and yellow!!!

This is my G Iheringi, same genus (family) different species (relative) lol

I own one from a sling, no longer a sling. They grow remarkably fast, and gain size after each molt like few tarantulas do, esp from the NW.

What's the DLS of yours? 3.5"?

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I own one from a sling, no longer a sling. They grow remarkably fast, and gain size after each molt like few tarantulas do, esp from the NW.

What's the DLS of yours? 3.5"?
I'm not even sure haven't measured, but shes only molted once I got her at 2" if that helps

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hi All,

Just an update on the two little ones. They are both still alive and have grown substantially. O' and let's not forget that they are eating like little monsters :vamp:

I managed to get a photo of one of the two. Will try and get a photo of the other as well.
Looks like there is a moult on it's way, might have to rehouse as well.

The pot was completely covered under coco peat, but the little bulldozer shifted it all into the pot.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi All,

Just an update on the two little ones. They are both still alive and have grown substantially. O' and let's not forget that they are eating like little monsters :vamp:

I managed to get a photo of one of the two. Will try and get a photo of the other as well.
Looks like there is a moult on it's way, might have to rehouse as well.

The pot was completely covered under coco peat, but the little bulldozer shifted it all into the pot.

"might have to rehouse"... :rolleyes:o_O:wideyed:

The container is too small for your cherished pet. I'm not sure why you haven't rehoused them.

Of course the sub was on the pot, there was no where else to put it.

Your T needs a water dish. Even fat Ts drink water, trust me I've seen my AF emilia drink despite her large abdomen size.

At least your T is healthy looking.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Is that the same deli cup from the first pictures?! Thing got big quick! I just got one a week or so ago as my first T, also as a sling. 1.5 inches.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
"might have to rehouse"... :rolleyes:o_O:wideyed:

The container is too small for your cherished pet. I'm not sure why you haven't rehoused them.

Of course the sub was on the pot, there was no where else to put it.

Your T needs a water dish. Even fat Ts drink water, trust me I've seen my AF emilia drink despite her large abdomen size.

At least your T is healthy looking.
He was always hiding inside the pot so his size did not really become apparent until recently. I will rehouse for sure. I also misted the enclosure regularly, but will put down a water dish in the larger enclosure.

I don't really like the look of the plastic pot, so at least with a larger enclosure I can get a bit more creative.

Is that the same deli cup from the first pictures?! Thing got big quick! I just got one a week or so ago as my first T, also as a sling. 1.5 inches.
Hi, no this is a larger deli cup, but it did grow quite large in a short amount of time. Good luck with the new sling.
The two I got are my first ever and I must say I really enjoy looking after them.

Last edited: