Taking the OBT Leap

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Being a keeper of only OW's, i probably feel more than most how truly misrepresented this group can get sometimes. Are they bolty? Yes, they can be. Are they aggressive, deadly and demonic? No, they are defensive. I've never been complacent around mine, and therefore never had any issues during my time keeping them. If you setup and care for a tarantula properly, it shouldn't even matter if its an OW or NW. Im well aware there are a handful of circumstances that would absolutely rule out keeping OW's due to their venom, but if you're that concerned about them potentially escaping then i believe an individual should reconsider their husbandry practices as a whole.

I guess to summarize, OP, if you believe you have acquired sufficient skills and knowledge for the task of keeping your first OW, then absolutely go for it, and take the next step on this endless journey of learning. I realize this comment may get a little flak from people that steer away from OW's in the early stages, but dont forget HUNDREDS of people here in Australia do it problem free every year, and i can personally guarantee we aren't superhuman or anything close

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Right?
Am I semi arboreal because I climb trees for a living?
Take this simple quiz to find out!

In addition to climbing trees

A) Do you eat bananas?
B) Do you fling poo?
C) Have you ever rode a little tricycle in the circus?

If you can answer any or all of the questions above with a "yes" you MIGHT be a monkey, and therefore at least semi arboreal.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi all,
I can almost guarantee that I’ll catch flak here for doing this, but I purchased an OBT (RCF) as my first Old World species. My options were slim (OBT, Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng Krachan, and a tiny C. Lividum Sling) and I felt I was ready to purchase my first OW. I have 5 other T’s (T. Albopilosum, N. Chromatus, A. Seemanni, A. Avicularia, and L. Parahybana) and have my basic husbandry/rehousing down. I purchased the OBT and had to do a rehouse already because of mold in the enclosure. I know the substrate in my new enclosure may be a tad shallow, but I noticed it seemed to prefer a web tunnel rather than burrowing in the enclosure it came in. The initial rehouse went smoothly, and I already experienced a glimpse into “OBT Teleportation”.

I know many veteran keepers suggest steering away from OBTs as a first OW, but I have also seen many say they began with OBTs themselves. I’m confident enough in my abilities to work with my T’s and I decided to house the specimen in an enclosure that it can do some growing into so as to eliminate the frequency of rehousings for at least a few molts. Thoughts on the setup would be greatly appreciated. I have seen a number of keepers suggest a semi-arboreal setup, and I noted how the specimen seemed to prefer constructing web tunnels in favor of burrowing. Thanks in advance! View attachment 345725
There are certainly some speicies that are better as first OW, even in its own genus like P lugardi. But the most important thing is that yiu have experience with sevral diffrent tarantula speicies. But some year atleast before getting P murinus. And a sling is better for a first OBT than getting an adult spider.
Good luck

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Take this simple quiz to find out!

In addition to climbing trees

A) Do you eat bananas?
B) Do you fling poo?
C) Have you ever rode a little tricycle in the circus?

If you can answer any or all of the questions above with a "yes" you MIGHT be a monkey, and therefore at least semi arboreal.
Well, I wasn't in the circus.

Kwikvette

Arachnopeon
Being a keeper of only OW's, i probably feel more than most how truly misrepresented this group can get sometimes. Are they bolty? Yes, they can be. Are they aggressive, deadly and demonic? No, they are defensive. I've never been complacent around mine, and therefore never had any issues during my time keeping them. If you setup and care for a tarantula properly, it shouldn't even matter if its an OW or NW. Im well aware there are a handful of circumstances that would absolutely rule out keeping OW's due to their venom, but if you're that concerned about them potentially escaping then i believe an individual should reconsider their husbandry practices as a whole.

I guess to summarize, OP, if you believe you have acquired sufficient skills and knowledge for the task of keeping your first OW, then absolutely go for it, and take the next step on this endless journey of learning. I realize this comment may get a little flak from people that steer away from OW's in the early stages, but dont forget HUNDREDS of people here in Australia do it problem free every year, and i can personally guarantee we aren't superhuman or anything close
There are certainly some speicies that are better as first OW, even in its own genus like P lugardi. But the most important thing is that yiu have experience with sevral diffrent tarantula speicies. But some year atleast before getting P murinus. And a sling is better for a first OBT than getting an adult spider.
Good luck
Agree with both posters above.

I got a P. Murinus as not only my first OW, but also as my second T only 2 months into ownership of my first T.

Had I posted and asked "should I get a P. Murinus as my first or second T?" the answer would've been No from just about everyone.

Got one anyway and it's been great!

Just don't get complacent, understand that they are very fast, and they won't always be happy to see you when you try to feed them or fill their water dish.

Mine's just fine in its enclosure after I rehoused it about 2 weeks ago; it's already molted 3-4 times while under my care.

"Good morning beautiful"

20200525_003606.jpg

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
We all need a little more obt right now. I didn't ask anyone if that was a good idea because I knew at that time that I was ready. Fast forward and baboons turned out to be my favorites. I never would have known that if I asked for permission from people who don't know me. If you have to ask then you probably aren't ready. If you know you are then have fun.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its not about asking for permission. Its about me and other keepers with long ecperience keeping tarantulas (i have 20 years experience) telling newbees what speicies of tarantulas that are suiteble for a person with zero to slim experience with tarantulas.

Then if the newbee will take our advise we cant control

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I got my first t when I was nine and I'm saying if you are asking if you are ready then you should wait. I don't think anyone should get a spider they aren't ready for but I don't know anyone here. Just what they say on the Internet. If you know you are ready then I wouldn't be able to stop you anyway.