Taking care of Eucratoscelus pachypus

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just bought an Eucratoscelus pachypus " Tanzanian Stoutleg Baboon" about two weeks ago. She was what I would consider a pet store rescue. The store I frequently buy mice and crickets from is going out of business. I have never liked the way they care for their tarantulas so have never purchased one from them before but since they were closing and only won't be selling any more, I asked what they were charging for the "feather leg baboon" who looked like it had a chance of surviving. The poor mystery avic was in pretty bad shape so at a labeled price of $40, I didn't bother. When they said $10, that baby came home with me.

Thinking I had a Feather leg, I set up an arboreal tank. After looking at her a bit closer, I knew something wasn't right... color was wrong, no markings... looked around... this was a Stoutleg and everything I saw on here said burrower. So new tank was set up and she was moved. Now after two weeks, she still hasn't touched the ground... well... occasionally, but most of the time she hangs up high. I just bought a cobalt blue and I was going to prepare her tank tonight but then I thought I should maybe ask for your opinion. Do Stoutlegs really burrow? Is mine just odd?

How do the rest of you keep yours?

Thanks for your help, Cheri

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We need a picture. I have one of the same species, and mine promptly dug a burrow to the bottom. Try chasing it onto the substrate and digging a small starter burrow for it.

I keep the top of the enclosure bone dry and add water to the bottom, and she seems happy.

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I started a burrow... she spent the first night there but now... on the screen, on the side of the glass, on the weird, dry, curly grass I put in there to replicate the dry grasslands I thought she came from.

I wet down the peat to pack it firm so she would be able to burrow so it still may be too wet for now.

I will try to post a picture when I get home tonight.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This species definitely burrows. Enjoy the scenery now, it'll disappear before you know it. :)

Give it a pre-made burrow and let it do its thing. This species does come from an arid region and is very hardy, but it still needs access to water.

Pretty soon, all you'll see is this:

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Cheri, just a little addition to what Becca said.
It is as much arid species as we can realise. Keep it absolutely dry only with water dish are available. It needs a decent layer of substratum but can dig as well as may not dig for months at all, and it is also should be dry. In theory You can use a reptile "humid living hide" method by it no need as I have experienced.
You can spay just one corner of the enclosure once a 3 weeks-month slightly for that all should dry out again within day or two.
For experience of later years I noted that everyone who keep em humid finally lost this species.
For additional info on this species I advice you to look this site, You can also may found a Rich Gallon's description in "Article/download" section here: http://baboonspiders.de/html_en/news.html

And here is adult female of mine.

Attachments

Ephebopus.M

Arachnopeon
they are really good burrowers... i used a half of a small plastic plant cup half covered in substrate, when she got comfortable she started digging under the cup, i lightly mist one side of the enclosure once a week... they are fun to watch though and i dont know about yours but mines thinks its 10 feet tall..

Last edited:

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It must be the moisture... I haven't had the time to post a picture of my own but M.F. Bagaturov's looks just like mine. I guess she will come down when things dry out.

Thanks for your help... Cheri

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Give it some time to settle im sure the disco dancer likes to hit the dance floor soon...{D