take THAT arachnaphobia!

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I finally held my A. metallic for the first time. I've had it (not sure of sex) for a couple months now and have just held it for the first time.

I've apparently picked up and held a wild tarantula when I was a kid (Oklahoma Aphonopelma no doubt) but don't remember it, and I kind of consider this my first time to hold a tarantula.

I've gotten over arachnophobia by studying tarantulas and other spiders and tossing moths to spiders outside in the summer time. I think I'm pretty much completely over it. I used to "feel" spiders crawling on my legs and stuff in bed and would slap at them trying to kill them, but of course it was all in my head.

But no more! bye bye arachnophobia!

:)

... I do admit though, I was pretty freakin nervous and maybe even a little scared :x

wasn't so bad though. I held it for like a minute and it wasn't difficult at all getting it on or off my hand/out of or back in the enclosure.

tarzan2day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats!! I wish there were more people who would tackle fears like you!!

LordPofas

Arachnopeon
Wow! That's a great feat! I am also trying to get over my phobia, been terrified of spiders for as long as I can remember, even jumped out of moving cars due to spiders on separate occasions! I've been a T owner for less than a week now and already I feel much more comfortable than I thought I would. I have 2 right now (L. Parahybana & N. Chromatus) and I'll be receiving 2 more come next tuesday (B. Vagans & G. Pulchripes), haha I'm hooked.

I'm a long way from handling one though

leoferus

Arachnopeon
I was bitten by an unidentified spider as a child. I ended up with a bad infection plus the venom that needed to be drained regularly... well... we all know how the story goes. I recovered completely and was able to walk again with a problem. Unfortunately, I had developed a fear of spiders. I was never to the point of running from them but I would get chills and become nervous.

In my twenties I decided that the fear should be no longer. So I began by trapping and keeping garden spiders for short periods before releasing them. I did some reading and I became fascinated. Not even six months ago I picked up my first tarantula. I am thirty years old now. I love spiders. My collection of tarantulas is approaching the twenty five mark.

I have always tried to rid myself of my fears. It has served me well. I have found that I turn out to enjoy that which I feared. For example, my fear of heights has been replaced with a love for mountain climbing. To the original poster, congratulations! And to all, own your fear.

BayBredBeardies

Arachnopeon
Good job! I'm a few months into the hobby myself and am still slightly arachnophobic :p I've only held slings though, still questionable as to if I'm going to hold them when they're bigger :p

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Congratulations! Life is too short to be ruled by fear. Yesterday I had three arachnophobes in a room with a T out on peoples hands. No one screamed, no one freaked, only one moved out of the room and peeked around the door.

I love my big A. metallica, and your little avid looks like a doll.

Again, congratulations.

Marga

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks guys

marga are you a therapist or something?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
thanks guys

marga are you a therapist or something?
I'm a recent widow. My husband died very suddenly just one year and one week ago (Dec 29, 2009). He was 44. I learned very quickly the hard way, that life needs to be lived and not play what-ifs!

My husband was always supportive in everything I did - he never liked Ts, but said I could have one if I wanted. Now, I'm collecting because I never did when I had the chance earlier.

Thanks!

Marga

Zman181

Arachnoknight
:clap:Congrats Lirva :) That's great you have tackled this fear. You have chosen a good species to do so with as well. Next time you do so keep your cool as it may JUMP out of no where lol. No need to panic.