Tailless whipscorpion

littebigspider

Arachnopeon
How active are tailless whipscorpions? I have a T. blondi and H. arizonesis, and they are not terribly active. I'm looking into purchasing a D. variegatus, but would like to know how active they are.
Please feel free to suggest other inverts as well, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i haven't kept any of those guys but i find typlopeltis crucifer to be quite active, far more than that big american desert sp (forget name). Uropygi group.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
D. variegatus is an amblypygid, Typlopeltis crucifer is a uropygid. Thus the problem with common names. As for D. variegatus, they aren't incredible feeders and they stick to verticallly ortiented pieces of bark, preferablly out of the light. They are more active at night, during the day they generally just move the whips around slowly.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as for other arachnids that still look "unusual" i recomend the t. crucifer. they are relativly active. they will also generally feed in front of you. fun to watch hunt, like a clumsy bearded dragon.

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep diadema. I started out with 4 and now I am down to one. I figured out too late why they were dieing.
First: I got lazy and didn't mist the tank enough to maintain high humidity.
Second: As my gals/guys matured they started cannibalizing each other when molting.

I did get the proper information here but it was too late. I now have one happy spoiled critter in their own 10 gallon mansion.{D

As far as activity is concerned they are pretty boring. They just hang out on twigs and sticks all day.
but, I still find them very interesting and plan on getting more in a couple of months at the Herp show.

I find the position that they take, hanging upside down on one or two legs from a stick, very very interesting.

O was thinking about getting another Goliath Bird Eater but I hesitate because I murdered 2 of them a few months ago. I think it was because of lack of knowledge on their care.

Any advise on them here?

Take care,

Tom

littebigspider

Arachnopeon
I keep mine on peet moss and the temp is between 70-80* F. The humidity is between 80-90%. I have an undertank heater on the side of the cage, not the bottom. I keep the peet moss damp at all times. He is in a ten gallon tank with a glass top.
Basically a damp substrate, temp70-80, high humidity with hydrometer (humidity meter) should have to problems. Don't use a screen top on the tank because you won't be able to build up humidity, use a glass top.
Thats about it.