Tailless Whip Spider Heating questions - winter

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
Hey all!

I purchased an species of Tailless Whip Spider (person at pet facility did not know species, but it's captive bred) and I've got a question about winter temps.

I read a lot that room temp is fine. Unfortunately, my apartment commonly finds itself around 65-68 at night and around 72 during the day, which is a bit colder than regular room temps.

Would you guys recommend some kind of heating situation? I have a 2 Watt Flukers heater from some other project a while back, but the damn thing runs at 100 degrees as a default. Buying a thermometer probe is not going to do the trick, as I already have one filling up the extension cord for my gecko vivarium.

Any suggestions/tips?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Picture of the whipspider in question would help determine the species, which would help us figure out if the temperatures are safe for it, though most amblypygi can be very hardy if other parameters are met (my Phrynus marginemaculatus takes temperatures down to 63F). Do you at least know where it originates from?

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Sikalisko

Arachnopeon
Any idea of even what genus your animal belongs to? I believe Phrynus marginemaculatus would be quite comfortable with those temperatures (and could even handle lower) for the winter. It is quite small species, so if your animal has a body length anywhere near 3 centimeters (or over an inch if you insist on using such unscientific measurements :D), chances are it's either of the two common Damon species instead: D. medius (which would mean that the seller lied to you and it's actually very likely wild caught) or D. diadema. Wild caught D. medius seems to be overwhelmingly the most common type available in pet shops for both EU and US at the moment. Besides these three species, there are multiple other possibilities.

I haven't read any reports of failed moltings because of low temperatures but I guess it could possibly increase the risk of molting complications. Depending on which locality, it is possible that Damon sp. might experience that 65F degrees in their native habitat too though. I wouldn't be too worried about it and unnecessarily rush getting some kind of inconvenient or overly pricey heating system for them. It sounds that your currently available heating equipment poses much higher risk of frying your pet instead.

And as Arthroverts already managed to reply before me, picture would be nice :)

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
IMG_0990.JPG

Thinking now that he's D. diadema (I didn't have a chance to look at him with such a bright light haha).

Thanks for the responses so far! Very helpful. =)

He seems to love the upper right corner of the tank, which initially made me think he was upset about the temp. He ate a medium sized cricket yesterday, so he's certainly not so stressed he can't eat.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Probably Damon medius actually, as they are more common than D. diadema in the hobby right now. If that's the case 10 to 1 it is wild caught and not captive bred.

@aphono, what do you think?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

aphono

Arachnobaron
Probably Damon medius actually, as they are more common than D. diadema in the hobby right now. If that's the case 10 to 1 it is wild caught and not captive bred.

@aphono, what do you think?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Agreed(definitely not diadema) and agree.

As for the temp question- it's more or less like that for several months at a time here. high 60 nighttimes with daytime warm ups to 72-75ish.

It has hit 63-65 a few times due to missing the forecast/not being home. Out of concern I made sure their room hit 75ish the days after, just in case. They seemed allright but then those were isolated, uncommon events though.

edit: as for heating, would recommend space heating rather than lamps, heating pads etc.

p.s. nice Nepenthes btw! ;)

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep both Damon diadema and Paraphrynus carolynae. We do have a small thermostat-controlled space heater in the room with them, so temperatures do not drop below around 67 or so (Fahrenheit) at night, and are usually in the low 70's during the day, and they are doing great. They're active, eating, mating - hopefully getting started on fresh clutches of eggs!

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
Agreed(definitely not diadema) and agree.

As for the temp question- it's more or less like that for several months at a time here. high 60 nighttimes with daytime warm ups to 72-75ish.

It has hit 63-65 a few times due to missing the forecast/not being home. Out of concern I made sure their room hit 75ish the days after, just in case. They seemed allright but then those were isolated, uncommon events though.

edit: as for heating, would recommend space heating rather than lamps, heating pads etc.

p.s. nice Nepenthes btw! ;)

Good to know! I'm pretty upset that he's wild caught. Now i'm hoping he was quarantined before they decided to sell him to me. :( The place I bought him from is pretty reputable, so i'm hoping that telling me they're "very likely captive bred" when I asked was a misstep.

Going to have to be all the more careful with the temp/humidity swings, but I do have a fogger that I can utilize for the nighttime so it doesnt drop below 75%.

My space heater burst into flames last year, so i'm very wary of using those during the night haha. I'll just...keep the heat up a little more.

And thanks! It's the smallest nepenthes I own, the pitchers are so petite.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
my place sometimes gets pretty cold at night in the spring and fall when the heat is off. I have those reptile heat mats that I put against the wall beside the enclosures, an inch or two away so there's no physical contact. It's just enough to provide a small heat gradient from one side of the enclosure to the other, so they can choose how close they want to get, but there's no danger of damage.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Good to know! I'm pretty upset that he's wild caught. Now i'm hoping he was quarantined before they decided to sell him to me. :( The place I bought him from is pretty reputable, so i'm hoping that telling me they're "very likely captive bred" when I asked was a misstep.

Going to have to be all the more careful with the temp/humidity swings, but I do have a fogger that I can utilize for the nighttime so it doesnt drop below 75%.

My space heater burst into flames last year, so i'm very wary of using those during the night haha. I'll just...keep the heat up a little more.

And thanks! It's the smallest nepenthes I own, the pitchers are so petite.
Got my first nepenthes late last summer, it's doing great. Hoping to expand by another one or two before too long. :)

I don't think daytime/nighttime swings are a bad thing at all- mine go through that most of the year. Doesn't seem to affect them at all as long as it's not too hot or cold.

One sign of humidity not being high enough is if it sits on the substrate. Walking or standing is fine, it's the 'pressing down n' curled up' that's no good. High off the substrate is a happy whip. :)