Tailless whip scorpions okay together?

Starchild Immortal

Arachnopeon
Hello. Newbie to this forum, but not to arachnids in general. But I’ve never had the tailless whips before. My husband bought me one for my birthday and it arrived today. Only one was ordered, but there were two in the container! Since I was only expecting the one, I had only set up one critter keeper. Since they were both in the deli cup together, for now I put them both in the keeper. Can they be kept that way? If not, how soon do I need to separate them? They’re about the size of a dime. So cute! I put tape over the longer slots on the side of the keeper top since it looked like they could fit through them. They have old pieces of wood at an angle so there’s dark crevices to hide in. Right now they seem to be exploring their new place. Can they stay together for now?

Attachments

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
You can, and it appears to be marginemaculatus, so they are more communal than others but I prefer to keep separate...also make sure that it can't walk out of the vents in a kritter keeper, these are designed to fit in tight squeezes. I keep all of mine in a 32 ox deli container with a piece of bark or styrofoam at an angle

Starchild Immortal

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I do intend to separate at some point. Even if something is communal in theory, if only so I know who is or isn’t eating. I just wasn’t expecting two of them. As for the critter keeper, they are wider than the shorter slot on the top of the lid, so I’m not worried about those. The slots along the sides of the lid are longer than the whips so I immediately assumed they could squeeze through and covered those with strips of tape.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Thanks. I do intend to separate at some point. Even if something is communal in theory, if only so I know who is or isn’t eating. I just wasn’t expecting two of them. As for the critter keeper, they are wider than the shorter slot on the top of the lid, so I’m not worried about those. The slots along the sides of the lid are longer than the whips so I immediately assumed they could squeeze through and covered those with strips of tape.
You might want to cover some of the remaining slots just to reduce airflow a bit so they don't dry out too quickly.
Separate is always safer, but you're probably okay to leave them together until you can get a second enclosure set up, as long as they have multiple hiding spots and climbing surfaces available.

Starchild Immortal

Arachnopeon
You might want to cover some of the remaining slots just to reduce airflow a bit so they don't dry out too quickly.
I can do that. The room they’re in isn’t air conditioned and the windows are only slightly open right now due to high winds and the temps starting to get lower (in South Florida so low doesn’t mean too much lol). I put in a pic showing the top with the different slots. The ones longer than the whips are wide are covered. The shorter ones on top are uncovered right now.
as long as they have multiple hiding spots and climbing surfaces available.
The other pic shows the keeper. It’s the larger size (originally had an asian forest scorp in there but moved her to a larger setup). There a bunch of leaves in the floor (some are the ones they were packed with) and the wood sticking up is actually layered pieces. They’re both on that but in different spots and seem to just be ignoring each other.

Attachments

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I can do that. The room they’re in isn’t air conditioned and the windows are only slightly open right now due to high winds and the temps starting to get lower (in South Florida so low doesn’t mean too much lol). I put in a pic showing the top with the different slots. The ones longer than the whips are wide are covered. The shorter ones on top are uncovered right now.

The other pic shows the keeper. It’s the larger size (originally had an asian forest scorp in there but moved her to a larger setup). There a bunch of leaves in the floor (some are the ones they were packed with) and the wood sticking up is actually layered pieces. They’re both on that but in different spots and seem to just be ignoring each other.

I keep my amblypygi in enclosures with a single 1-2" square screened vent, just to give you an idea of the incredibly small amount of ventilation these guys need. I'd cover at least half of that lid with acrylic or plastic wrap or something, otherwise you're going to be adding water constantly to offset the evaporation. I'd probably recommend covering the remaining holes with mesh to keep out flies and keep prey from escaping. You have more substrate than they really need, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - it'll help regulate the humidity in there a bit. I'd remove the leaves, because prey will hide in them and make it harder to hunt. Maybe add one more climbing surface going the other direction so they have more options. Otherwise it looks like a decent setup.

Starchild Immortal

Arachnopeon
I keep my amblypygi in enclosures with a single 1-2" square screened vent, just to give you an idea of the incredibly small amount of ventilation these guys need. I'd cover at least half of that lid with acrylic or plastic wrap or something, otherwise you're going to be adding water constantly to offset the evaporation. I'd probably recommend covering the remaining holes with mesh to keep out flies and keep prey from escaping. You have more substrate than they really need, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - it'll help regulate the humidity in there a bit. I'd remove the leaves, because prey will hide in them and make it harder to hunt. Maybe add one more climbing surface going the other direction so they have more options. Otherwise it looks like a decent setup.
Ok. Yeah the thick substrate was from having the AFS in there. I know the whips don’t need all that but didn’t think it would hurt to keep it. I’ll take out the leaves since they’re using the bark anyway. And I’ll put another in there and cover the top more. Thanks for the input.