Tailless Whip Scorpion ID?

Scaylen

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I'm new to Tailess Whip Scorpions and just got two of them at a convention this past weekend. They seem to be doing well so far and I was hoping to get some help identifying which subspecies they were, and if possible whether they were male or female. All I was told about them when I purchased them was that they were "the giant species from Africa."

Here's the first one: 3072.jpeg 3074.jpeg 3065.jpeg

Here's the second one:
3075.jpeg 3084.jpeg 3079.jpeg

Thanks!
(And sorry if the pics aren't too great, they were none too happy about being flipped upside down and I was afraid of hurting them trying to make the stay still)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well, they're Damon medius or some people call them the "Tanzanian Giant Whip Spider" but the common name is a bit exaggerated. I don't know what sex they are because I'm not a expert on sexing these guys, but there are some people that are better than me. Also just a question, do you remember which vendor you bought them from? Because I'm very curious.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Agreed they're Damon medius, and two females if I'm not mistaken.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Damon medius, keep them both extremely moist in order to allow them to thrive. Flooding the substrate and restricting ventilation works the best in my experience.

Sikalisko

Arachnopeon
Agreed they're Damon medius, and two females if I'm not mistaken.
What features you used for sexing? I'm curious because I still haven't found time and energy to confirm the sexes of my own D. medius (2 originating from Ghana and 5 from Nigeria, bought from thespidershop and bugzuk).

I thought short reddish hairs near the margin of genital operculum was the way to go? I couldn't see any on those pics, and now I'm confused. Maybe it's a good thing I haven't unnecessarily stressed my animals with sexing attempts yet :D

I haven't even confirmed that my animals are indeed D. medius instead of just "looking very much like D. medius", not being D. johnstonii and originating from countries where D. diadema doesn't have populations. I want to identify them the proper way when I have time :)

Scaylen

Arachnopeon
Well, they're Damon medius or some people call them the "Tanzanian Giant Whip Spider" but the common name is a bit exaggerated. I don't know what sex they are because I'm not a expert on sexing these guys, but there are some people that are better than me. Also just a question, do you remember which vendor you bought them from? Because I'm very curious.
It was a huge combined group of vendors at the back of the show that were all together and using the same checkout, so I'm not sure exactly sure which one was selling them, but two of the names on the signs were Kicks Balls and Pets Supply (not sure I'm remember the second name correctly, but it was something close to that). They were super busy and I wasn't able to talk with whoever was directly selling them, so I was just getting second hand info through one of the other sales assistants based on what they'd been told.

I've been looking for these guys for a while, and these were the first ones I'd been able to find. Every other invert vendor I'd talked with had been sold out of them, and I was hesitant to buy online and have them shipped, both for cost reasons and because I couldn't look at the health of them before buying. I wasn't too worried about not having a clear ID on them before buying, figured I'd get that confirmed later. I was just super happy to find any Tailless Whips to get started with. :)

Scaylen

Arachnopeon
Damon medius, keep them both extremely moist in order to allow them to thrive. Flooding the substrate and restricting ventilation works the best in my experience.
They're all set up in a glass-topped aquarium reading at a 100% humidity with tons of condensation. Both have been chilling out upside down on the moss bridges I set up for them and seem quite content. Haven't confirmed they've eaten yet, but they've got some crickets in there and every time I check on them in the mornings, they've changed positions, so they seem to be moving around at night.