Tailless Whip Scorpion - Feeding While Young

LivShurlow

Arachnopeon
Hi all! I have yet to purchase my first Tailless Whip Scorpion, but I wanted to make sure I had all the information I needed beforehand. The one question I still have is about what to feed them when they are still little guys. I saw that you can feed them fruit flies, but I am not to keen to releasing fruit flies in my apartment...what can I feed them when they are small and when will I know to move them up to eating crickets (If there is a way to know, without just guessing)?

I am sure I will have many more questions, but for now, that is the biggest!

Thanks!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
FYI amblypygi (tailless whip scorpions) are not actually scorpions, so this should be posted in the "other arachnids" subforum.

You can feed whiplings pinhead crickets. When they're still very young they will scavenge freshly killed or immobilized prey.

LivShurlow

Arachnopeon
Noted and thank you for the information. How long does one typically feed them the pinheads, before moving onto the big guys?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
You can generally use your amblypygi's abdomen size as an upper limit for the size of feeder you can offer, so it's going to depend on the species to a large extent. I generally go for feeders that are about half the abdomen size because I like to keep mine to a weekly feeding schedule for convenience, but sometimes adjust the size up or down depending on how round the abdomen appears.

Also it's worth noting that if you can't get pinheads you can feed ¼" crickets to a small whipling, it just means you'll end up having to pick out uneaten cricket parts the next morning.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all! I have yet to purchase my first Tailless Whip Scorpion, but I wanted to make sure I had all the information I needed beforehand. The one question I still have is about what to feed them when they are still little guys. I saw that you can feed them fruit flies, but I am not to keen to releasing fruit flies in my apartment...what can I feed them when they are small and when will I know to move them up to eating crickets (If there is a way to know, without just guessing)?

I am sure I will have many more questions, but for now, that is the biggest!

Thanks!
When mine were very small, they took fliightless fruit flies, which are readily available at pet shops. That way you don’t have to worry about them Flying around. It is nice to get them eating crickets ASAP.