Tagged

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I've kept so many tarantulas that are quick to bite from both the Americas and everywhere else in the world, and in my experience with them getting bitten is really hard to do. My worry is more with all of the hyperbole created from within the tarantula keeping community on how dangerous these types of tarantulas are. The only way to get bitten by any kind of spider is to touch it so even if someone new to keeping tarantulas knows enough to not touch a tarantula, or let it get near their hands, there is slim to no chance of getting bit. The biggest risk is having them run off, getting lost, and never being recovered.

Besides, why is there so much assumption that someone new to tarantulas, young or old, would be a complete nit wit that wouldn't be able to properly deal with a bitey tarantula? Somehow Australians are able to work with their tarantulas without getting bit, but Americans and everyone else can't? How strange.
There's a point in that there are other ways to have the skills needed for fast-moving tarantulas. I've seen enough old world videos to know they're no faster than other things I've had to tackle. I just have no interest in a pet that could send me or my family to hospital, so it hasn't come up.

But generally the people getting such spiders to look tough are exactly the sort who won't read all the care instructions. It's not hard to find posts here where someone has been prodding their new spider to see if they're alive or wants to pick them up. Not all new keepers are going to do such things, but it's not exactly uncommon.

Georges Simp Pierre

Arachnopeon
because over there, just about everything will kill you. #straya
As someone who has lived in the suburbs for 19 years the dangers of aussie animals are overrated, I have encountered a venomous snake twice and my garden has always had good plant cover. The only times I have encountered the deadly sydney funnelweb was when I actually searched for them. The point being most people never see them, the possible exception would be funnel web season but I myself nor anyone I know has encountered any wandering males despite living in a supposed funnel web hotspot.

VukSRB

Arachnosquire
I've got my first two OW's(P. regalis and OBT) 8 years ago, when I was 15 and never had problems and I respected them. Parents never knew about them and other 5 tarantulas hidden, they only knew about my versicolor and LP😂 But also I was a keeper since 14 and did my research 3 hours/day for few months before. I had breeding success with A. versicolor(then it was avicularia) when I was17 with 130 slings😁. Today I have 20 AF, 5 juveniles and 10 slings, a scorpion and 2 black widows AND STILL ADDICTED!

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I've been hot in the game for almost 2.5 months and just went onto a reputable site to purchase 1 of every pokie sling and 1 of every baboon sling they had available. Go big or go home. I'm pretty much a pro now.

Haters gun' hate. I'll feed my T's your peasant brains. Have the heat set to 90* F, humidifier pumpin out to 87% humidity, heating rocks in every enclosure. I want AF's from 1" slings in 6 months. Saw it on youtube, so it's proven. Plus it was in a legit scientific paper written in 1932 by viper himself.

Spray bottle at ever enclosure, ready to mist, keep the gravel/wood chip sub nice and moist. Red heat lamps in every corner.

Welcome to the Gulag.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I've been hot in the game for almost 2.5 months and just went onto a reputable site to purchase 1 of every pokie sling and 1 of every baboon sling they had available. Go big or go home. I'm pretty much a pro now.

Haters gun' hate. I'll feed my T's your peasant brains. Have the heat set to 90* F, humidifier pumpin out to 87% humidity, heating rocks in every enclosure. I want AF's from 1" slings in 6 months. Saw it on youtube, so it's proven. Plus it was in a legit scientific paper written in 1932 by viper himself.

Spray bottle at ever enclosure, ready to mist, keep the gravel/wood chip sub nice and moist. Red heat lamps in every corner.

Welcome to the Gulag.
GL brother I’ve never lost in the gulag in me life 90F is some rookie number chit. If you’re not cranking out 95 are you even heating the room?

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Plus it was in a legit scientific paper written in 1932 by viper himself.
Wait, I thought he discovered them in the 1800’s and you’re telling us he didn’t publish a paper until 1932? Hard to believe...he just gave me advice last night within the hour. I’m fact checking your timeline! Sounds awfully fishy if you ask me.

And how many words where in the paper? More than six and I know you’re pulling our leg.

VukSRB

Arachnosquire

Welcome to the Gulag.
Lol go hard or go home

Scp682

Arachnoknight
1. They haven't done their homework. They think that the ladder system has been put in place to spite them and punish them. They don't know any differently, because they just haven't done the research.
2. They just don't care if their carelessness impacts the hobby, or responsible hobbyists. Just... don't... care.
3. Social media antics negates any semblance of common sense that most people have. Instant gratification from strangers trumps logic.
4. They have never had to be responsible for their actions their entire lives.
That's something else i think should be addressed, "exotic animals" are now trendy social media stars.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
You have to separate the two first.

The first group of young people are very eager to learn and respect tarantulas. They do good and are young enough to enjoy their tarantulas longer. Constantly seeking advice on proper husbandry. These are the ones we need as they are the future for breeding and keeping T ownership going.

The second group are the ones that watch, love and adore the showboaters on popular social video sites. This is where alot of younger people learn about tarantulas. They also learn irresponsibility, poor husbandry and endangerment to oneself and the tarantula. These are entertainers for the sake of gaining more subscribers. Young people and even some older people fall victim to this before ever learning proper care for tarantulas.

These are the 2 groups I mainly come across. The ones that find their way here with alot of questions are the ones that can be groomed for the future.