Tagged

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
So, looking through the forums at the moment there seems to be quite a few younger keepers around. Which is cool, don't get me wrong, but it does seem like there's quite a lot of them who are trying to jump in to OW's with pretty much minimal experience in T keeping of any kind.

My question is - they get tagged. It blows up in the news. What could be the complications of this, realistically-speaking? And also, how can we try to help without getting the "I'VE MADE UP MY MIND DON'T TRY TO STOP ME" response?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
There's nothing we're going to say that will discourage them.
If a young person or new keeper has made their mind up, all we can do is give them the facts and wish them the best.
They should know that any er visit is bad bad bad for the hobby, though.
Don't mess it up for the rest of us.😉

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Hard to get them to understand unfortunately. I grew up catching reptiles and insects. I was actually catching rattlesnakes by my early teens. However I don’t keep any venomous snakes or vipers. Reason being, I understand that I realistically don’t have enough experience with them or spent adequate time around them to feel confident keeping them. Saw a guy on YouTube recently that lost his finger to a cobra bite. Dude has wayyyy more experience than me. Accident still happened. But who knows, maybe if he had lack of experience he could have lost more than a finger. These kids and newbs just don’t get it apparently.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
There certainly doesn't seem to be any checks on the person purchasing the spood, which I always thought a bit iffy. I mean I know there's no age restriction but it's a bit different than getting a gerbil when you're 10. Obviously if they have a parent who's a seasoned keeper to guide them, that's cool.
I think the only thing we can hope for is they come here for advice, and try to leave their egos at the door!

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Realistically speaking, it could possibly lead to that state passing new legislation banning the species or whole genus from being kept by residents if enough cases were brought to the attention of the wrong people.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Realistically speaking, it could possibly lead to that state passing new legislation banning the species or whole genus from being kept by residents if enough cases were brought to the attention of the wrong people.
For example, see the state of Maine and the 5 species of Tarantula that are legally allowed to be owned.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Hard to get them to understand unfortunately. I grew up catching reptiles and insects. I was actually catching rattlesnakes by my early teens. However I don’t keep any venomous snakes or vipers. Reason being, I understand that I realistically don’t have enough experience with them or spent adequate time around them to feel confident keeping them. Saw a guy on YouTube recently that lost his finger to a cobra bite. Dude has wayyyy more experience than me. Accident still happened. But who knows, maybe if he had lack of experience he could have lost more than a finger. These kids and newbs just don’t get it apparently.
Saw that too, black mamba and he would have been dead for sure had they not already had a small stockpile of anti-venom in addition to what they had to fly in. I wouldn’t be surprised is the medical costs hit a million.

As far as venomous animals, in general the problem is most kids don’t have the capacity to understand or realize their own mortality, or fully understand consequences to their actions. They’re still developing physically and mentally, which is why parents need to keep themselves involved and educated rather than passive.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
Agreed i used to catch and relocate copperheads (only seen a few rattlesnakes here surprisingly) and I wouldn't keep one simply because I don't have that experience. I'm still a tenderfoot but i see a lot of people my age who don't understand that vets know what they're talking about even with great resources available now experience is and always has been the best tool to posses

jay444

Arachnosquire
There certainly doesn't seem to be any checks on the person purchasing the spood
Up here in Canada our 2 biggest suppliers (Tangled in webs, Tarantula Canada) won't sell anything with potent venom to anyone under 18 yo even if they get approval from the parents. They ask for ID even on online sales when in doubt. I think it is the best way to go really.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Send them bite reports? Unfortunately with a tarantula it seems like the bravado youngins mindset is still prevalent with some kids, and honestly the only downside to dumb people getting tagged is that most media outlets would love to get ahold of that story and spew some BS about "dangerous beasts" that shouldn't be allowed to be kept. I couldn't care less about anybody else's health and safety, but when they arrogance costs other keepers their freedoms, I find that incredibly selfish and ridiculous.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Saw that too, black mamba and he would have been dead for sure had they not already had a small stockpile of anti-venom in addition to what they had to fly in. I wouldn’t be surprised is the medical costs hit a million.

As far as venomous animals, in general the problem is most kids don’t have the capacity to understand or realize their own mortality, or fully understand consequences to their actions. They’re still developing physically and mentally, which is why parents need to keep themselves involved and educated rather than passive.
I see this every day. I work in the life insurance industry. Very very few 21 yr olds understand their own mortality or the logic in buying life insurance when they're young and it's really inexpensive. They are too dumb to realize they are at risk every time they get in a car. In their young lives nothing bad has happened to them so they think nothing bad will ever happen to them.
This is the group that wants piranhas in their aquarium because they want to feed them rats. The same group that wants reticulated pythons because having the biggest snake is cool, the same group that wants to handle their OBT's because nothing will ever happen.
Now this isn't an absolute, there are plenty of individuals that are bright enough and have enough common sense to not engage in risky activities, they follow an ownership ladder, they are here and asking questions on AB.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Up here in Canada our 2 biggest suppliers (Tangled in webs, Tarantula Canada) won't sell anything with potent venom to anyone under 18 yo even if they get approval from the parents. They ask for ID even on online sales when in doubt. I think it is the best way to go really.
That's great. I wish all places were that strict. I don't wanna think about how many Ts and inverts have met an untimely end due to kids bringing home a pet they can't care for properly. I'm sure there's responsible ones, but I fear this hobby tugs at their "exciting and dangerous" strings, then they realise they're out of their depth and ditch it 😥

LilShaz

Arachnopeon
My Ex got tagged several times and was often unwell, nobody called the news though.. Nobody really cared.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
So, looking through the forums at the moment there seems to be quite a few younger keepers around. Which is cool, don't get me wrong, but it does seem like there's quite a lot of them who are trying to jump in to OW's with pretty much minimal experience in T keeping of any kind.
My question is - they get tagged. It blows up in the news. What could be the complications of this, realistically-speaking? And also, how can we try to help without getting the "I'VE MADE UP MY MIND DON'T TRY TO STOP ME" response?
1. They haven't done their homework. They think that the ladder system has been put in place to spite them and punish them. They don't know any differently, because they just haven't done the research.
2. They just don't care if their carelessness impacts the hobby, or responsible hobbyists. Just... don't... care.
3. Social media antics negates any semblance of common sense that most people have. Instant gratification from strangers trumps logic.
4. They have never had to be responsible for their actions their entire lives.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Send them bite reports?
Scare tactics never work lol.
If anything they'd want it more. its bragging rights.

Teen boys are just... a whole new level of dumb.
I think back on my teen years and realize how edgy and stupid I was, but at that time - you could not convince me that I was wrong about any of my views.
I legit thought I had peeked in terms of maturity.

This whole thing is really a lose/lose. Imo.

You can't be like "look ur kid and you just don't get it". Cause they'll just stop listening.

You can't try to be nice and educate them about safe practices cause "yeah, I already watched all the exotics lair videos on it. I know how to take care of it."

I'm sure there are some who are educated and safe about it - kudos to them. But I think primarily it really is just - "LOL I want an obt cause they're mean, stop being a boomer. yeet"

LilShaz

Arachnopeon
Scare tactics never work lol.
If anything they'd want it more. its bragging rights.

Teen boys are just... a whole new level of dumb.
I think back on my teen years and realize how edgy and stupid I was, but at that time - you could not convince me that I was wrong about any of my views.
I legit thought I had peeked in terms of maturity.

This whole thing is really a lose/lose. Imo.

You can't be like "look ur kid and you just don't get it". Cause they'll just stop listening.

You can't try to be nice and educate them about safe practices cause "yeah, I already watched all the exotics lair videos on it. I know how to take care of it."

I'm sure there are some who are educated and safe about it - kudos to them. But I think primarily it really is just - "LOL I want an obt cause they're mean, stop being a boomer. yeet"
This!
Some people never learn, or grow out of it either.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I've kept so many tarantulas that are quick to bite from both the Americas and everywhere else in the world, and in my experience with them getting bitten is really hard to do. My worry is more with all of the hyperbole created from within the tarantula keeping community on how dangerous these types of tarantulas are. The only way to get bitten by any kind of spider is to touch it so even if someone new to keeping tarantulas knows enough to not touch a tarantula, or let it get near their hands, there is slim to no chance of getting bit. The biggest risk is having them run off, getting lost, and never being recovered.

Besides, why is there so much assumption that someone new to tarantulas, young or old, would be a complete nit wit that wouldn't be able to properly deal with a bitey tarantula? Somehow Australians are able to work with their tarantulas without getting bit, but Americans and everyone else can't? How strange.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
I've kept so many tarantulas that are quick to bite from both the Americas and everywhere else in the world, and in my experience with them getting bitten is really hard to do. My worry is more with all of the hyperbole created from within the tarantula keeping community on how dangerous these types of tarantulas are. The only way to get bitten by any kind of spider is to touch it so even if someone new to keeping tarantulas knows enough to not touch a tarantula, or let it get near their hands, there is slim to no chance of getting bit. The biggest risk is having them run off, getting lost, and never being recovered.

Besides, why is there so much assumption that someone new to tarantulas, young or old, would be a complete nit wit that wouldn't be able to properly deal with a bitey tarantula? Somehow Australians are able to work with their tarantulas without getting bit, but Americans and everyone else can't? How strange.
Because they’re young people who want “an interesting species” and in their minds interesting = potentially dangerous. I’ve seen quite a few of these posts lately and some are adamant on handling despite many warnings against doing so. They’re “prepared to deal with a bite if it happens” not realising the negative impact it could have on the hobby. It’s just selfish IMO. I’ve seen bite reports of people doing husbandry whilst the T was in the enclosure, running up tongs etc. I wouldn’t say a bite is only going to happen if the T is touched, especially if it’s a fast species.
Plus if these kids don’t warn their parents and a T does get loose, who knows if they have other pets etc. which WILL be affected?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
because of the quarantine there has been lots of new folks, and yes, some have been really young. Sadly many are getting info from horrid sources (like Reddit). We need to try to steer people in the right direction if, for anything, the health and safety of the Ts.
Young people, including young men, are gonna make more dumb decisions. All we can do is say "That's dumb" and move on, at least our conscious is clear. I agree, dealers should ID kids who buy spicy Ts. My daughter has been around them since she was 5 or 6, she gets it and scratches her head at these newbs making horrid choices. Yes, it can cause a clampdown, so we need to figure a way to minimize the damage to the hobby these folks can do

Somehow Australians are able to work with their tarantulas without getting bit, but Americans and everyone else can't? How strange.
because over there, just about everything will kill you. #straya