T "webbing..." nothing coming out

Paiige

Arachnobaron
As some of you know I recently acquired a MM G. pulchra. This guy has spent the last two days doing the web dance, but nothing is coming out. He's been literally spinning in circles and nothing is happening. I was excited at first, thinking he was about to put down a sperm web which would be excellent considering he has a date this weekend...but there's nothing there. The poor guy is doing his best but I'm a bit concerned. His spinnerets are both there and he doesn't look like he's suffered any sort of damage or trauma. Has anyone witnessed this before? Is there anything I can do to help the fella out short of flipping him over and seeing what's up? I'm reluctant to do so since we don't know each other very well.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
As some of you know I recently acquired a MM G. pulchra. This guy has spent the last two days doing the web dance, but nothing is coming out. He's been literally spinning in circles and nothing is happening. I was excited at first, thinking he was about to put down a sperm web which would be excellent considering he has a date this weekend...but there's nothing there. The poor guy is doing his best but I'm a bit concerned. His spinnerets are both there and he doesn't look like he's suffered any sort of damage or trauma. Has anyone witnessed this before? Is there anything I can do to help the fella out short of flipping him over and seeing what's up? I'm reluctant to do so since we don't know each other very well.
I don't know @Paiige ... I'd check him out.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I don't know @Paiige ... I'd check him out.
I just don't wanna get chomped by this big guy. He was climbing all over the temp container I had him in while I was cleaning out his old enclosure and I got a good view of his underside and everything seemed in order. His spinnerets are moving and it seems like everything is working the way its supposed to. I wasn't sure if it's possible that it's because he's an old guy but everyone said he appears to be in good shape and very healthy.

Hmm, thats odd... hope he isn't shooting blanks...
Agreed, his future lady might not be pleased either.

Does anyone know how long sperm is viable once he's charged himself up?

Edit: Flipped him, nothing out of the ordinary. He is not happy with me at the moment :shifty:

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I just don't wanna get chomped by this big guy. He was climbing all over the temp container I had him in while I was cleaning out his old enclosure and I got a good view of his underside and everything seemed in order. His spinnerets are moving and it seems like everything is working the way its supposed to. I wasn't sure if it's possible that it's because he's an old guy but everyone said he appears to be in good shape and very healthy.

Agreed, his future lady might not be pleased either.

Does anyone know how long sperm is viable once he's charged himself up?

Edit: Flipped him, nothing out of the ordinary. He is not happy with me at the moment :shifty:
Yeah but now you know. On to figure out what's wrong.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Maybe he ran out of silk and needs to eat to make more. No idea, but mine ate 4 big meals before being traded to a breeder. And he spun a big sperm web 2 days after his first meal as a MM.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Maybe he ran out of silk and needs to eat to make more. No idea, but mine ate 4 big meals before being traded to a breeder. And he spun a big sperm web 2 days after his first meal as a MM.
Hmmmm I will try feeding him!

Edit: nah he runs away from the food :arghh:

Last edited:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Poor guy. It was worth a try. :embarrassed:
Yeah. Oh well. We will see what happens when he meets his lady I guess, and if he's able to spin before then great...if not, hopefully he's already charged a bit. Perhaps being around a lady will at least kick-start some sort of tarantula hormones and get him going :D

Last edited:

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Is there anything I can do to help the fella out short of flipping him over and seeing what's up? I'm reluctant to do so since we don't know each other very well.
Wow,,,, i'm a visual kind of guy and that visuals almost made me fall over laughing:happy::happy::happy:
I hope all is well with your guy.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe a weird question...but has he pooped while in your care?