T vs hermit crabs

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Never would I do it... But from what I have seen, some T owners ave hermit crabs as well, small world, i have 3 HCs. Because the exoskeleton of a hermit crab is so hard, do you think a T could hang out with HCs, and everybody would survive? I don't encourage anybody to try (because 1 pet might get hurt...)

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never would I do it... But from what I have seen, some T owners ave hermit crabs as well, small world, i have 3 HCs. Because the exoskeleton of a hermit crab is so hard, do you think a T could hang out with HCs, and everybody would survive? I don't encourage anybody to try (because 1 pet might get hurt...)
You should never let a Tarantula "hang" out with anything else. With the exceptions of the few species you can co-habbit with proper space provided.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why dont you try it then get back to us:razz:

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMHO it would be a bad idea, as hermit crabs are opportunistic eaters. It would only be a matter of time before the T is on the menu.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it only makes a difference that the hermit crabs have a hard shell if the T is trying to eat one.

also, the T could break its fangs.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Because the exoskeleton of a hermit crab is so hard, do you think a T could hang out with HCs, and everybody would survive?
So what's going to protect the tarantula from creatures with that kind of crushing/slicing power in their claws, an impenetrable shell, and a rock-hard exoskeleton? :rolleyes:

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Don't know much about hermit crabs, but the beachy environs they live in would probably bug the hell outa your T.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A hermit crab and a big nasty centipede or emperor scorp might be a fairer contest. Even so i think something would end up dead and it wouldn't be the hermit crab.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hermit crabs will eat anything,and if they can get a hold of a t, that's it the end. i keep the marine sp. and they are always looking for something to eat,dead/alive if they can grab it they'll eat it.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
even fight maybe

It might be an even fight, the T might flick hairs at the HCs and it might cause them damages, or if the T bites in the folds of their arms... HCs are quite weary of anything that moves or any shadows, they'll hide, and when they eat they don't pinch with the big claws, they eat with the smaller claw and the other limbs they have close to their mouth, I'm not sure, but honesltly don't want to place any bets on the lives on my pets, just wanted to know other peoples opinion.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also have both, and cannot imagine keeping both together. No way would I want to risk any of my kids.

Urticulating hairs would only bother if it got the HC's eyes, as they also have an exoskeleton. That or the T would have to have really good aim and get the hairs into the shell to bother the soft body. :razz:

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't do it, I use to have hermit crabs a while ago. I can attest to the power that they have in their claws(ouch). I believe that they could easily kill and eat a tarantula with no problem, especially if the tarantula is molting:eek:
Your best bet would be not to do it at all and judging from the rest of the responses here I would say that I am not the only one...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
umm well if the JHC had no shell to hide its soft butt in, the T MAY have a chance lol but still man them big claws on a soft T cant be good.
Not only that, I dont recall ever seeing any Ts running around tidal pools...

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm one of the one's with both, and I would NEVER think of putting them in the same enclosure together... not EVER. It's just too much of a risk to the T. The crab has sense enough to go in its shell when threatened, but the T has no real defense against those claws and as mentioned, crabs will eat just about ANY thing. Besides, the husbandry is all wrong in most cases... especially with the species of crabs that I have.