T. Violaceus health check

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Rehoused my Tapinauchenius Violaceus today. Went very easy. I hear this genus might very well be the fastest T species, but with a gentle touch and a bit of nudging it just walked into it's new home.

I have very little experience with this genus so I was wondering if it looks healthy as it is? Lost two of them in shipping to me from very reputable dealers, so kind of paranoid they might be fragile.

Seems like a plump healthy T to me. Might even be about to molt with how dark the carapace is.

Its about 1.5-2" DLS. Does it's brown coloration at this size mean it's male? Still waiting to see that velvety purple the species is known for.

PXL_20210923_082320727.jpg
PXL_20210923_082635883.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have very little experience with this genus so I was wondering if it looks healthy as it is?
Looks healthy enough

Its about 1.5-2" DLS. Does it's brown coloration at this size mean it's male?
Nope

General rule of thumb, if a species is sexually dimorphic then it's usually only when they're sexually mature so immature specimens of either sex will be identical. The exceptions that exhibit sexual dimorphism as juveniles are very rare and they're all OW species IIRC (P. ornata and some Ornithoctoninae spp. are the ones that spring to mind).

Still waiting to see that velvety purple the species is known for.
Tappies generally get their adult colours around 3" or so IIRC, also bear in mind that a lot of pics/vids of them are taken right after moults (when the colours are most vibrant) and have the saturation ramped up.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
It's going to be tricky to tell if it's male or female based on appearance unless it's sexually mature. My male matured at around 3in or so. One great thing about this species is that both males and females are stunningly beautiful. And they grow FAST.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Rehoused my Tapinauchenius Violaceus today. Went very easy. I hear this genus might very well be the fastest T species, but with a gentle touch and a bit of nudging it just walked into it's new home.

I have very little experience with this genus so I was wondering if it looks healthy as it is? Lost two of them in shipping to me from very reputable dealers, so kind of paranoid they might be fragile.

Seems like a plump healthy T to me. Might even be about to molt with how dark the carapace is.

Its about 1.5-2" DLS. Does it's brown coloration at this size mean it's male? Still waiting to see that velvety purple the species is known for.

View attachment 399872
View attachment 399873
Mine is one or two molts ahead of yours (3.5") and it changed colour to steely gray with a green carapace. Still no purple though

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
It's going to be tricky to tell if it's male or female based on appearance unless it's sexually mature. My male matured at around 3in or so. One great thing about this species is that both males and females are stunningly beautiful. And they grow FAST.
I do love this species so far. Eats like a horse and is growing very fast from the tiny sling I got it as. Out and about every night looking for food.

Glad there is still hope it can be a female.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That T is healthy looking!

and the genus is widely regarded as the fastest