T. violaceus enclosure

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
Hi all, just a real quick question.

Next week I am getting a 1/8" T. violaceus sling, and I'm kinda torn as to what to keep it in. My original idea was to keep it in a cross-ventilated cricket food container (Fluker's), that has been cleaned and had the labels removed. Then, I became concerned that the cage would be way too large for a 1/8" T, so I changed over to a vial. The problem with that is that these guys are FAST (sorry for caps, just wanted to emphasize), as I'm sure most of you are aware.

TL;DR: Is a Fluker's Cricket Food jar that has been cleaned and cross ventilated good for a 1/8" T. violaceus sling, provided that I drop multiple pieces of pre-killed food in the cage?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hi all, just a real quick question.

Next week I am getting a 1/8" T. violaceus sling, and I'm kinda torn as to what to keep it in. My original idea was to keep it in a cross-ventilated cricket food container (Fluker's), that has been cleaned and had the labels removed. Then, I became concerned that the cage would be way too large for a 1/8" T, so I changed over to a vial. The problem with that is that these guys are FAST (sorry for caps, just wanted to emphasize), as I'm sure most of you are aware.

TL;DR: Is a Fluker's Cricket Food jar that has been cleaned and cross ventilated good for a 1/8" T. violaceus sling, provided that I drop multiple pieces of pre-killed food in the cage?
Is that the body size of the sling? 3mm seems awfully small for a T.violaceus sling, which instar is it?

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
I'm buying the T. violaceus from an online dealer (IDK if I can say where), who lists the sling as 1/8". As far as instar, to be honest, I've never asked that when ordering. Maybe that's something I should do in the future.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
1/8-1/4 is normal for a T. violaceus sling. The cricket jar is a bit to big for it at that size. A tall vial with strands of moss or fake plant leaves for webbing anchors would be better to start. They are very quick even as slings, when it comes time to rehouse just set the opened vial in the new enclosure and let it come out on its own.

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
1/8-1/4 is normal for a T. violaceus sling. The cricket jar is a bit to big for it at that size. A tall vial with strands of moss or fake plant leaves for webbing anchors would be better to start. They are very quick even as slings, when it comes time to rehouse just set the opened vial in the new enclosure and let it come out on its own.
Thanks so much! I'll save the cricket jar for later use. :D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
1/8 of an inch is ~3mm. That is about the DLS of my P.regius sling...is this bodysize of a T.violaceus? Or am i converting it wrong?? I'm having trouble believing a sling is 3mm DLS...not even Cyriocosmus starts that small...