T Venom

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok im 17 i have a 2 and a 3 year old running around, i know that for the most part to venom isnt serious iv been bit by 1 T wasnt sure exactly what it was becasue i bought it from a pet store and it said amredilo tarantula it was a hair flicker but he ended up biting me but it just made my hand go numb i was shocked because i was an asthmatic and i dont know if i can have a allergic reaction or what, anywayz i traded that T down the road, but getting back to what im saying have been keeping T's since i was 11 im 17 now

but i was wondering is there any T's that if where to somehow get out and run into one of the kids and the kids decided to play with it and got bite would it be something serious??? they girls are both in perfect health they have no illnesses or anything like that but just in case i would like to know if there are spieces that im keeping now or that i should look for by the way now im currently keeping (C.Crawshayi) (L.parahybana) (g.rosea) (e.rufescens) (P.cancerrides) Thanks for ur info in advance

Sean

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Sean... check out the bite reports on this website. These are first-hand accounts of some species. Keep in mind however, that children are much lighter than we are and cannot tolerate as much venom as a 200 lb. adult. (Or whatever the average is!)

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah i have looked at it

Iv taken a look at its pretty intresting but like u said its adults, when i got bit it made my hand just go numb and stiff and tingle for about a half hour then it was over but im 6'0 165 im not a big guy but im big enough to where it wouldnt effect me as much as a 30 pound 3 year old and 25 pound 2 year old, thats why im askin if it would be serious:confused:

Sean

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think if a full grown pokie or a full grown C.crawshayi bit one of the little kids they would for sure end up in the hospital. They can take an adult out of commision for a day or 2.

Mark

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A rose-hair, and pretty much any new-world T, wouldn't be too serious, even for a little kid, but genera of T's to take seriously venom-wise would be : your king baboon ! , also, Poecilotheria, Stromatopelma, Heteroscodra, Pterinochilus, Selenocosmia, and possibly Cyriopagopus.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Venom
A rose-hair, and pretty much any new-world T, wouldn't be too serious, even for a little kid, but genera of T's to take seriously venom-wise would be : your king baboon ! , also, Poecilotheria, Stromatopelma, Heteroscodra, Pterinochilus, Selenocosmia, and possibly Cyriopagopus.
If you have any concerns about your kids geting into your T's do not purchase any Africans or Asians, stick with passive spiders from the New World (Americas). Some reports from the Asians to adults are serious enough, let alone a bite to a child. The next thing you must consider is that all T's are venomous on one level or another and it's a risk you are choosing to take if you are leting the kids anywhere near the spiders. One solution of course is to lock the T's up in a room that your children will not get into. I keep Asian old worlders and my room is a no go zone for the little one, simple solution. He has zero access to the T's and they cannot escape to his area.

Good luck,
Steve

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
If you have any concerns about your kids geting into your T's do not purchase any Africans or Asians, stick with passive spiders from the New World (Americas). Some reports from the Asians to adults are serious enough, let alone a bite to a child. The next thing you must consider is that all T's are venomous on one level or another and it's a risk you are choosing to take if you are leting the kids anywhere near the spiders. One solution of course is to lock the T's up in a room that your children will not get into. I keep Asian old worlders and my room is a no go zone for the little one, simple solution. He has zero access to the T's and they cannot escape to his area.

Good luck,
Steve
Well yeah i know that, im just sayin like something happend to where a certain T got out somehow and was running around my house i keep them all in my walk in closet, the girls have no access in there because it is a locked door, so i have no worries of them going in getting into the room...but thank you for ur info, i wasj ust worried about T's that could get out somehow and lost in the house and one of the kids runs across it and decides they wanna play, so no asians and no african spieces correct??? any others i should know?

Sean

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't think a 2 or 3 year old would have a problem with the venom from say, a G. Rosea.

But being bit by a P. Regalis/Ornata/etc might be nasty....just maybe even fatal?

Steve Nunn's advice is your best bet.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sean
Well yeah i know that, im just sayin like something happend to where a certain T got out somehow and was running around my house i keep them all in my walk in closet, the girls have no access in there because it is a locked door, so i have no worries of them going in getting into the room
Hi Sean,
I didn't mean any offense, I hope I didn't sound too harsh. I would definately say no old world spiders at all, African and Asian. It never hurts to take extra precautions, so these would be the ones to avoid.

Cheers,
Steve

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As Steve said, old worlders have a reputation (whether scientifically verified or not for you sticklers ;)) for stronger, more medically significant venom. I would also add Psalmopoeus, a new world genus, to your specific list of no-nos because it is evolutionarily very closely related to the Poeciolotheria, one of the more medically significant of the old worlders.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Sean,
I didn't mean any offense, I hope I didn't sound too harsh. I would definately say no old world spiders at all, African and Asian. It never hurts to take extra precautions, so these would be the ones to avoid.

Cheers,
Steve
Not at all Steve i took no offense to that at all, i respect ur opinon but no i took no offense to that

Sean

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I pretty much have no, no access rooms in my house as small as it is.
I simply put locks on the no no touching T's and have been teaching the twins just Not to try dealing with Any of them without help from me.
If you have any worries at all about Any T venom, or any worries about one escaping.
I know it sounds silly but we have had tarantula drills.
In the event one did escape ( and we Did have an escaped emilia runing around the house for two days.)
It was a simple matter to start.
Turn it into a game with rewards.
The first to report a T sighting if one is escaped gets a reward, and since they were twins, the helper spotter gets one too, so know one gets left out.
I've let our rosies " escape" and had the twins do the right thing.
Call Mom or dad. If mom or dad are out and they are with big brother and sisy to babysit.
Tell one of them.
My son knows the which ones we have that are hot.
My oldest daughter doesn't like any of them.
Both know Those are to be "bowled" till I can handle them.
Simply, put a bowl over them and a book on the bowl.
As dumb as it sounds I do these weird things to make sure the twins stay safe with their new pets they love so well.
They tend their T's supervised.
Only Once did a tank get opened without mom and Both got grounded for a week.
No feeding the T's for a whole week was pure Torture.

Reinforce respect, not fear.

If somehting is learned and learned well it will stick and work.

Hope I made any damn sense. :p

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thank you nixy for your info u do have some good ideas :D

Sean

Last edited:

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
As I pretty much have no, no access rooms in my house as small as it is.
I simply put locks on the no no touching T's and have been teaching the twins just Not to try dealing with Any of them without help from me.
If you have any worries at all about Any T venom, or any worries about one escaping.
I know it sounds silly but we have had tarantula drills.
In the event one did escape ( and we Did have an escaped emilia runing around the house for two days.)
It was a simple matter to start.
Turn it into a game with rewards.
The first to report a T sighting if one is escaped gets a reward, and since they were twins, the helper spotter gets one too, so know one gets left out.
I've let our rosies " escape" and had the twins do the right thing.
Call Mom or dad. If mom or dad are out and they are with big brother and sisy to babysit.
Tell one of them.
My son knows the which ones we have that are hot.
My oldest daughter doesn't like any of them.
Both know Those are to be "bowled" till I can handle them.
Simply, put a bowl over them and a book on the bowl.
As dumb as it sounds I do these weird things to make sure the twins stay safe with their new pets they love so well.
They tend their T's supervised.
Only Once did a tank get opened without mom and Both got grounded for a week.
No feeding the T's for a whole week was pure Torture.

Reinforce respect, not fear.

If somehting is learned and learned well it will stick and work.

Hope I made any damn sense. :p
What reward did your teenage daughter get for finding Zevo besides a complex about escapee tarantulas? :D

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well

Hi :)

One can't be liked by everyone,,but,,,, here it goes,,, my opinion is that small kids shouldn't be around any animal with venom, even close under whatever so called secure enviroment.

Kenny

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Well

Originally posted by Kenny

One can't be liked by everyone,,but,,,, here it goes,,, my opinion is that small kids shouldn't be around any animal with venom, even close under whatever so called secure enviroment.
Yep, not going to be a popular opinion since any given kid is in far more danger from the family dog or cat, no matter how tame they are, than they are from the hottest, angriest Pokie.

Are you suggesting that people with small children should just give up all their Ts, or maybe buy a second home for the Ts? Come on, you're really letting ignorance or something cloud your judgement here.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Kenny
Hi Kenny,
Do you ever see bees in the backyard? Bees kill, T's don't, never have, not one fatality, ever. Dogs kill too, heck, cat scratch fever (from cats ;)) is more dangerous then your average T. A lot of pet fish are far more venomous then your average T, I'm yet to see warnings go out to whomever owns catfish. A can that's been opened up and has been sitting in the rubbish bin for over two hours is more lethal then any T. A huge majority of home plants are more poisonous then any spider, rusty nails are far worse, a general cut from playing in the backyard has more potential for injury then a T bite. One could always bottle their children and be done with it, on the other hand, one could use some logic and avoid what they can, within reason. For some, this would mean avoiding nasty T's if they collect them. Others may avoid dogs, cats, rusty nails, dirty cans, plants, backyards, exhaust fumes if you will, long stories of nucular power from President Bush (ever heard him say it ;)), elevators packed with egg eating teens, etc, etc. I guess it's perspective and you're entitled to yours.

Cheers,
Steve

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Kenny
Hi kenny i respect ur opinion but i have to dissagree, like code said dogs have a better chance of attacking a child then a Tarantula, i can name lots of animals but im too lazy too that people have around there house then a tarantula, so im going to have to disagree with you

Sean

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
to be honest, i'd look out for the spider aggression and tendancy to bite, rather than which spiders have the worst bite. No captive T' deaths have been reported, though any bite to a kid is going to shatter their positive views of spiders.

having a shy timid spider loose with dangerous vemon wont be as bad as having an aggressive one scuttling around

teach them either:
A) how to act safely around the spiders
B) how to keep away from the spiders

As a rule of thumb, spiders that flick hair usually wont be as ready to bite. These are the new world spiders, the hairs are usually the first defense and warning - same as a rattlesnake will rattle before striking. Do some research on the specific spider before you buy them, also check out www.bighairyspiders.com for the bite reports.

and as for the kids with spiders, ive been collecting them myself since i was 7, im now 18. Ive had spiders prior to that, but wasnt allowed 'my own' until my 7th birthday. Ive never been bitten.

...you could always get a few pet cats to guard your siblings in the chance of an escaped T
:rolleyes: