T takes a 4 feet fall. What should I do?

absoluteyellow

Arachnopeon
My 3" Avic avic bolted while I was transferring it today and took a 4 feet fall on a hard floor.

I inspected the spider but I couldn't see any leak. It has been sluggish though. I then tried to put it in ICU, but as soon as it touched the wet paper towel it climbed out so fast. And I couldn't keep it in the ICU.
I didn't want to stress it too much so I quit.
Now it's back it in its enclosure and has been staying at on the bottom of the enclosure which is uncharacteristic of Avic avic. What should I do now?

PS. it's a new enclosure. Not sure if that has something to do with it staying at the bottom.

Every comment is appreciated.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's a tree spider.Thay can take a fall.If you don't see any leaks and it eats. Don't worry about it.Give her a few days to adjust to her new container.Once
she spins some web.Se will start to fell at home again.

Last edited:

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Your lucky it wasn't a heavy terrestrial tarantula, it would most likely be done for good.

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if it landed on carpet it should be ok iv had a avic jump from my chest and land on carpet and walk away fine,and im 5'10

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with the previous comments and would like to add that you will never need an ICU for a T fall. They're only for dehydrated T's. I guess if your dehydrated to took a big fall then maybe along with some glue, but you get the point.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't worry. Avics can generally handle it. Just let it do whatever it needs to do. That may be staying on solid ground for a while. Just try to learn from it. I just had one bolt from me. So I know how it feels. But your Avic should be just fine. :)

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mY GBB did similar a few months back .... bout the same height too and size T back then too ... unfortunately he started leaking at his leg joints but the bleeding stopped after 5 minutes or so.

He is now fine and has since molted twice since then .... second molt was actually today lol .... T's are much hardier than you think. He did spend a week or so barely moving after his fall and i was sure he was doomed but thankfully he was and is fine

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with the previous comments and would like to add that you will never need an ICU for a T fall. They're only for dehydrated T's. I guess if your dehydrated to took a big fall then maybe along with some glue, but you get the point.
If a tarantula falls and injures itself and loses hemolymph, that's a serious fluid loss and hydration is an issue. ICUs can be helpful for this. Also, an ICU may help restrict movement of an injured tarantula until the injuries close and start to heal.

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just let it go its probably fine just like the others said its a tree spider they evolved to take an impact.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have to disagree. It may or may not be against conventional wisdom, and I confess I didn't consult my Tkg, but I don't believe an ICU will affect hydration.
They don't absorb humidity through the air or their skin as far as I know. They get hydration through eating and drinking. As far as restricting movement, I don't think it's that important. They won't run around if they have a wound, Unless they are scared. Speaking of, I think they may heal faster if they are in their own cage and relaxed. However ** The caveat here is that their own cage may have microscopic cricket remains and microbiological activity that we can't see. The open would may leave them more open to infection. But I also know of no information that would show this, just relating the mammal experience and ASSUMING there could be similar viral/bacterial activity. I have no idea of this in reality. :)

OH, and it's an Avicularia and we have no report of rupture right?

If a tarantula falls and injures itself and loses hemolymph, that's a serious fluid loss and hydration is an issue. ICUs can be helpful for this. Also, an ICU may help restrict movement of an injured tarantula until the injuries close and start to heal.