T.stirmi sling care

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
See I leave my pets at home when I have school and only return on the weekends every 1-2 weeks. Guess this will help maintain the moisture while I’m away?
The best to help with moisture retention would be to use some spaghnum moss, they sell it on Amazon and Chewy.

BrokenLegBaboon

Arachnosquire
The best to help with moisture retention would be to use some spaghnum moss, they sell it on Amazon and Chewy.
Do I just put it on top? I’ve got some too. Currently i have a layer of vermiculite below then like 3” of coco peat then i put some moss on top

Oh and btw I haven’t even ordered it yet since the list for pre orders arrives at feb sooo I’m just being super prepared :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
See I leave my pets at home when I have school and only return on the weekends every 1-2 weeks.
Based on this alone, I would strongly suggest not getting a Theraphosa or any t needing damp sub. A Theraphosa will also need food more often than you will be home, and if it dries out and you aren't there....goodnight.

Your situation is much much....MUCH better suited to something with a lower metabolism and no moisture needs.

BrokenLegBaboon

Arachnosquire
Based on this alone, I would strongly suggest not getting a Theraphosa or any t needing damp sub. A Theraphosa will also need food more often than you will be home, and if it dries out and you aren't there....goodnight.

Your situation is much much....MUCH better suited to something with a lower metabolism and no moisture needs.
Isn’t a weekly feeding normal for ts? If Theraphosas need a lot more food then I could have my friend feed and water it for me. I have around 50 ts now and I was assuming that a stirmi would be fine as long as it got a damp enclosure which I am preparing now. I’m testing how long it would dry up actually. I go home on friday nights and I could feed it then and again on sunday before I leave. Would that be enough?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Isn’t a weekly feeding normal for ts? If Theraphosas need a lot more food then I could have my friend feed and water it for me. I have around 50 ts now and I was assuming that a stirmi would be fine as long as it got a damp enclosure which I am preparing now. I’m testing how long it would dry up actually. I go home on friday nights and I could feed it then and again on sunday before I leave. Would that be enough?
I think that it's more of a question of observing/mantaining the parameters (so the needed legit substrate moistness etc) than feeding per se (especially in the case of juve/adults specimens).

A suitable (well sized) prey a week is fine, even if for others may be not enough. I tend as well to offer to my juve/adults such feeding schedule, I want to avoid at all costs to end with too much chubby 'Sumo' T's, and all of my T's are healthy and well proportioned.

Now, as far the parameters... if you are at home for the weekend I see no issues.

The thing, when it comes to those spiders/inverts that need a more higher humid environment/parameters for thrive, is that (example) someone, for work or whatever reasons, may be forced to stay out of his/her home often, maybe for two months etc therefore he/she needs to have a trusted person able to do the job around those T's (a thing not so granted and easy like may seems... everyone - not scared - is able to throw a cricket/roach inside, mantaining the parameters, on the other hand, require a bit of more knowledge), especially during Winter times when furnaces etc are on.

Problem: what I've written above isn't suitable for slings but for juve/adults.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
You can still make it work, I only need to water my sub around once a week. They do foul their water bowls a lot though, and slings/juvies should definitely be fed heavily...instead of feeding multiple times per week, you could just offer larger meals, comes down to pretty much the same thing.

BrokenLegBaboon

Arachnosquire
I think that it's more of a question of observing/mantaining the parameters (so the needed legit substrate moistness etc) than feeding per se (especially in the case of juve/adults specimens).

A suitable (well sized) prey a week is fine, even if for others may be not enough. I tend as well to offer to my juve/adults such feeding schedule, I want to avoid at all costs to end with too much chubby 'Sumo' T's, and all of my T's are healthy and well proportioned.

Now, as far the parameters... if you are at home for the weekend I see no issues.

The thing, when it comes to those spiders/inverts that need a more higher humid environment/parameters for thrive, is that (example) someone, for work or whatever reasons, may be forced to stay out of his/her home often, maybe for two months etc therefore he/she needs to have a trusted person able to do the job around those T's (a thing not so granted and easy like may seems... everyone - not scared - is able to throw a cricket/roach inside, mantaining the parameters, on the other hand, require a bit of more knowledge), especially during Winter times when furnaces etc are on.

Problem: what I've written above isn't suitable for slings but for juve/adults.
My friend is also a keeper and I think he’s also really well educted on Ts. Humidity in my hometown is always very high since we are surrounded by bodies of water and rainfall barrages us on a weekly basis. I’ve never had T had a bad molt on me.

I’m a student rn and I really try my best to go home every week just for my Ts. I just can’t go home when I have my exams soooo think I can do it?

You can still make it work, I only need to water my sub around once a week. They do foul their water bowls a lot though, and slings/juvies should definitely be fed heavily...instead of feeding multiple times per week, you could just offer larger meals, comes down to pretty much the same thing.
This is what I really had in mind and I have like 5” of wet substrate to compensate for my time away. 1” vermiculite layer on the bottom, 4” of coco peat and vermiculite then I topped it with a lot of sphagnum moss. My T won’t arrive till late February so I have a lot of time to fix and prepare

Last edited by a moderator:

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
visiting and tending to your t only on the weekends sound very normal, many hobbyists do this,
it's not a newborn puppy or anything, i am sure you will have no issue tending to its needs which is very minimal, and stirmi is hardy species. It all depends on the enclosure set up.

like other said if you use bigger enclosure (provide a hiding place) and moistened substrate then it has a buffering effect where if you end up checking in TWO weeks (oh my god oh no!! lol j/k) it will be okay.

i would feed it friday and saturday, and Sunday take out any leftover, fillup a water dish if you are going to use one and back to school on week days

room temp around mid 70s is fine. Do not keep it too warm. and i would soak one corner of the tank.

BrokenLegBaboon

Arachnosquire
DAF05BF2-439A-4C3F-8A80-A6FF5ABEFD3F.jpeg 6A3C4855-1B0F-4DA3-90E8-8C7D0D16101B.jpeg 3C2FCF7E-A595-45F2-B9B3-DD511510D137.jpeg

This is the enclosure I made for my stirmi. It will be coming next week. Would this do the job? It’s 4” of substrate with a layer of vermiculite on the bottom and a 2:1 vermiculite + coco peat on top. I have soldered vents of the side too. Anything I’ve missed?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
If it were me I might mix the vermiculite with the substrate all the way down, as a lot of times (but not all), tarantulas don’t like straight vermiculite and you don’t want it to be unhappy.

BrokenLegBaboon

Arachnosquire
If it were me I might mix the vermiculite with the substrate all the way down, as a lot of times (but not all), tarantulas don’t like straight vermiculite and you don’t want it to be unhappy.
Hmmm I was thinking maybe the pure layer of vermic would trap the moisture for a longer time. Would the sling burrow?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Would this do the job? It’s 4” of substrate with a layer of vermiculite on the bottom and a 2:1 vermiculite + coco peat on top.
There's no need for the layer of vermiculite in the bottom and you've mixed too much into the substrate layer IMO. You only need to use a small amount (my mix is 2:1 topsoil/peat with a large scoopful of fine vermiculite per 30L of sub, for 10L I'd use about a handful).

Hmmm I was thinking maybe the pure layer of vermic would trap the moisture for a longer time. Would the sling burrow?
Yeah, there's a good chance it will, and they hate the feel of it IIRC.

BrokenLegBaboon

Arachnosquire
There's no need for the layer of vermiculite in the bottom and you've mixed too much into the substrate layer IMO. You only need to use a small amount (my mix is 2:1 topsoil/peat with a large scoopful of fine vermiculite per 30L of sub, for 10L I'd use about a handful).

Yeah, there's a good chance it will, and they hate the feel of it IIRC.
Ow okay if that’s the case I’ll just use coco + vermiculite. I was reading tom moran’s care on T.stirmi and I read that he used a layer of vermiculite at the bottom. Maybe I overdid it lol

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
So I’ve been thinking of stepping up my game and getting a T.stirmi sling by the end of January or start of February. I’ve been looking up multiple care sheets and forums bout how to take care of them but nothing seems to be updated. So to all those who’ve kept T. stirmi especially those who’ve raised them from sling, can you give me some advice on how to take care of them?

Things like proper substrate, humidity, feeding and etc.

Note: I live in the tropics and temperatures ranges from 76 to 90. Humidity is constantly 80-100%
I recieved my first Therophosa Stirmi recently, from what I have researched, you need humidity and ventilation to be in balance. They need moist substrate, but not so moist that water comes out if you squeeze a handful of it. Spring tails prevent molt, so important for humid enclosures. A drainage layer and sphagnum moss also helps maintain humidity. Ventilation is critical too, cross ventilation is best. You want to replace any wire mesh lid with acrylic sheeting so they dont get their feet stuck. This is what I learned, I hope this is useful

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A drainage layer and sphagnum moss
Neither of these are required (I've never used a drainage layer for any tarantula species, and I only really use sphagnum moss in sling enclosures that are too small for a water dish).

Also, this is an old thread and the OP/person you were replying to hasn't logged in since 2019 ;)

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
I recieved my first Therophosa Stirmi recently, from what I have researched, you need humidity and ventilation to be in balance. They need moist substrate, but not so moist that water comes out if you squeeze a handful of it. Spring tails prevent molt, so important for humid enclosures. A drainage layer and sphagnum moss also helps maintain humidity. Ventilation is critical too, cross ventilation is best. You want to replace any wire mesh lid with acrylic sheeting so they dont get their feet stuck. This is what I learned, I hope this is useful
Lol, I've been reading different threads I found on this species since I'm a new owner of one : )