T. Stirmi leaking liquid

creepylair6

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! So I have noticed over the past week or so, that my T. Stirmi has had a clear liquid that leaks from her knees. One day it’s one knee and then a couple of days later it’s the other. It’s usually the fourth and eighth leg. I am thinking she (assume it’s female) is about to moly, but just wanted outside opinion to make sure she hasn’t hurt herself in some way.

Attachments

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I’m not going to claim to know exactly what the problem is, but I’m going to assume it has injured it’s leg from something. Perhaps a fall. Do you have a mesh lid on your enclosure?

And I’d remove the rocks, and any fake plants that may have wire in them. That could also be the cause of injury.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
They can leak from their joints just before a molt. They fill the space between the old and new exoskeleton with fluid to help them escape and sometimes it seeps out. Nothing to worry about.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
They can leak from their joints just before a molt. They fill the space between the old and new exoskeleton with fluid to help them escape and sometimes it seeps out. Nothing to worry about.
I didn’t know that. I’ve never seen it on mine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I knew about the fluid, like a snake, but not this leaking. Where did you learn this, that doesn’t make sense to me...

Liquifin

Arachnoking
That Theraphosa doesn't look to be in pre-molt to me. It's probably just me though...

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I initially didn't think it looked in premoult based on the abdomen in the 2nd pic. Then I looked at the 1st one again, and noticed how black the carapace and femurs are where the setae has wore off over time. So it's been a considerable while since the last moult.......

Does look more like moulting fluid than hemolymph to me, as it is as clear as water in the photo. That plus seeing the odd droplet on one leg joint then another does fit moulting fluid rather than an injury scenario.

creepylair6

Arachnopeon
thanks guys! I will keep you updated on her. She is still small for a theraphosa. She is about 5” right now. So we have a lot of growing to do!