T stirmi in ICU

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well last night I thought she was improving thought she was super hungry she wasn't taking dubia roaches for whatever reason I don't know.

So I through a large captive bred fishing spider in there for the fact it has good movement plus it was going down hill anyhow.

So after couple hours went in to check and she had it in her clutch eating it so I had high hopes she was getting a small meal I was very happy.

Then when I came to check this morning she was in a death curl close to the water dish and the fishing spider was next to her she didn't even finish it.

So then I was thinking shouldn't have given her the spider maybe it made her worse than ever. So thinking she was gone or almost dead I carefully picked her up she still had some movement but barely so I put her in ICU in the morning came back to check on her and also wanted to put fresh water and new paper towels in ICU.

I carefully picked her up put her in critter keeper she stared to move! and I set her in Ritter keeper was even hissing and trying to lick hairs at me but was weak then she suprized me she climbed out of the critterm keeper and walked like 5 feet before hitting a wall I was shocked so I quickly put her back into ICU she lost a bunch of energy and stopped moving my fault .

So I checked on her at 5:00 and she was not in a death curl but obviously very weak she did make a little hissing sound so she is hanging in there.

I sure hope she pulls through. Any other tips please post.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Have you made a thread about this before that has some photos of her we can look at? If not, can you post some in this one?

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Have you made a thread about this before that has some photos of her we can look at? If not, can you post some in this one?

Just checked on her again she was moving in ICU like trying to move her legs then she just stopped and no movement I am sure she passed very sad about this I just got her on Thursday I have let the place know what happened I don't l ow whays going to happen:(

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Just checked on her again she was moving in ICU like trying to move her legs then she just stopped and no movement I am sure she passed very sad about this I just got her on Thursday I have let the place know what happened I don't l ow whays going to happen:(
She was most likely a WC, and you never know what WC have been through before they get to you. However, pictures of the enclosure, the specimen, etc. are invaluable. Putting pretty much any species in an ICU is many times more detrimental than anything. It could cause an unneeded amount of stress, and if your enclosure has a large waterdish and has sufficient humidity, you aren't changing the conditions for your spider other than paper towels as substrate. Just keep that in mind next time.

cold blood

Staff member
Its possible the fishing spider got a good fang in the T, she could be dealing with its venom effects now. Poor choice of feeder.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Its possible the fishing spider got a good fang in the T, she could be dealing with its venom effects now. Poor choice of feeder.
There was another thread last weekend, where a keeper threw in a fishing spider, where people specifically said it wasn't a good idea...maybe op reads only his threads...:(

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I'm slightly confused on that choice of prey. I get the whole feeding response thing, but why wouldn't you just use a super worm or a cricket? Both of those are a lot less harmful and probably draw in a better feeding response anyways.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm slightly confused on that choice of prey. I get the whole feeding response thing, but why wouldn't you just use a super worm or a cricket? Both of those are a lot less harmful and probably draw in a better feeding response anyways.
I think the logic behind it is to elicit a feeding responce by triggering Tarantulas aggressive nature towards each other..

There is a member on here that fed G.rosea to a female Brachypelma sp.( I believe these to be the species if I remeber correctly) to break her fast..

Whether it's wise or ethical lies in the hands of the keeper I guess.. Lol..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
There was another thread last weekend, where a keeper threw in a fishing spider, where people specifically said it wasn't a good idea...maybe op reads only his threads...:(
Same keeper Lol. The T attacked it but left it half eaten..

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It probably wasn't a good Idea to fees fishing spider to TarantuLA however she had egg sac clutched in her fangs whoke time yes poor choice I was running out of options she was going way down hill before I threw spider in there yes lesson learned won't ever do that again:(

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
so no photos of the enclosure or the tarantula? being able to see how this T was kept would help some of the more experienced members here try to give some reason or cause of your tarantulas health declining.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It probably wIsn't a good Idea to fees fishing spider to TarantuLA however she had egg sac clutched in her fangs whoke time yes poor choice I was running out of options she was going way down hill before I threw spider in there yes lesson learned won't ever do that again:(
Pics. Pics would help.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You put a venomous creature in as prey and didn't expect it could be a possible threat? I don't even put superworms in without crushing their heads for fear of them biting back, never mind another spider.

As others have said, pics of the enclosure would help.