T. stirmi hiding for months

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
So, the myth and the legend, Big Scary the stirmi has been in her hide for about three months now. Not burrowing or anything. Just hanging out.

I figured she was in premolt for the first little bit and I was right (she molted maybe three weeks or a month ago?) but she hasn’t come out at all since.

I expected her to come out at some point after she molted because she used to be out and about regularly (esp at night, which is normal) but, she’s been a total recluse.

Nothing in her environment or enclosure has changed so I’m not sure what’s going on. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My T. strimi (Bertha - who may actually be a "Bert") is doing the same thing. He/she recently molted, but instead of coming back out and resuming normal activities, is just hanging out in the hide. I'm attributing it to the season - I've got several others who - while not due for a molt - are also remaining secluded, including my T. albopilosum, A. chalcodes, and all five of my M. balfouri. The room is nice and warm - but the ambient daylight coming in through the window must give them the appropriate seasonal clues.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
My T. strimi (Bertha - who may actually be a "Bert") is doing the same thing. He/she recently molted, but instead of coming back out and resuming normal activities, is just hanging out in the hide. I'm attributing it to the season - I've got several others who - while not due for a molt - are also remaining secluded, including my T. albopilosum, A. chalcodes, and all five of my M. balfouri. The room is nice and warm - but the ambient daylight coming in through the window must give them the appropriate seasonal clues.
Interesting! I live in FL so it’s warm and keep my bedroom where the T shelves are pretty dark (blinds almost always drawn because I basically only sleep in there). My chalcodes and albos are almost always out though.

I don’t worry about the fossorials showing forever because “fossorial” lol but I was a little bit concerned because it’s not typical for her. Though, I have heard tarantulas can change behavior between molts.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
If I recall, this spider is now pushing into the 6-7" territory after the recent moult? It will take 3-4 weeks for them to fully harden at this size, so she's probably still recovering. I'm sure she'll make her way out when she's ready.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
If I recall, this spider is now pushing into the 6-7" territory after the recent moult? It will take 3-4 weeks for them to fully harden at this size, so she's probably still recovering. I'm sure she'll make her way out when she's ready.
That makes sense! I didn’t consider prolonged recovery time for a spider her size.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I have several Ts that have been in their burrows for a couple of months. My pulchripes sling got rehoused, molted that day and dug a burrow. That was early november and I haven't seen it since. Except for little feet sticking out once. I give it food and water but if it wants to be down there ...cool :)

Same exact story with my klaasi.

20191226_143124.jpg

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I have several Ts that have been in their burrows for a couple of months. My pulchripes sling got rehoused, molted that day and dug a burrow. That was early november and I haven't seen it since. Except for little feet sticking out once. I give it food and water but if it wants to be down there ...cool :)

Same exact story with my klaasi.

View attachment 329673
I literally have multiple juveniles in that exact container! (not together of course ;) )