T. stirmi hair, or small bee sting?

CABIV

Arachnosquire
Hello,

I recently decided to take the risk and pick up a T. stirmi. She seems ok for now, but I am curious about the hairs.

She kicked at me when I transfered her into her home from the pet shop, but I used long tongs and generally stayed out of range. I didnt experience anything that day or the day after. I attempted to feed her a week later, and morning after, I had a red bump that itches and had stung a little on the palm of my hand, below the thumb.

This seems like a random occurence, and I'm not sure if maybe I slapped a small bee or something (had a similar sting from a small metallic green bee once). I figure if I got haired, it would be a more widespread thing, unless this is a single solitary random hair (and if it just one hair, WOW).

Its been a few days now, so I'm starting to get suspicious.

So, what are the specific symptoms of being exposed to T. stirmi hair?

Pictures because why not

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yep, seems you got haired, the genus Theraphosa have notoriously bad urticating setae. To avoid this you can wear long sleeves, glasses and a mask to shield yourself next time you need to do a rehouse.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hello, I recently decided to take the risk and pick up a T. stirmi.
Ah ah, what you said sounded to me like if you reached Marsiglia (Marseille) for sign for the French Foreign Legion instead of buying a spider :kiss:

So, what are the specific symptoms of being exposed to T. stirmi hair?
Actually IMO no one can give to you a definitive answer about, aside for stating that genus Theraphosa setae are among the worst ever. Why? Simple. It's a completely subjective issue. Certain keepers are more sensitive to other NW T's setae (example).

For instance, from genus Acanthoscurria to genus Nhandu to (genus) Megaphobema etc ain't sensitive at all... just a "red & itchy" sensation I actually love to enjoy :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
NEVER take unnecessary risks. Handling a T is one.

Your gorgeous gal will be getting new clothes soon. Please post pics when she does.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

Your gorgeous gal will be getting new clothes soon. Please post pics when she does.
I don't think he meant "pick up a T.stirmi" as him handling, rather going to buy one.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I picked my big girl up barehanded once. She was ready to fall out of her tote, so I had a split second to react. I then put her quickly on the floor, aand she then haired and hissed at me. I'm immune, as i only had itching and burning on my arms and neck similar to insulation for about 3 hours.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm immune, as i only had itching and burning on my arms and neck similar to insulation for about 3 hours.
Are you sure you know what immune means? :troll:

That is pretty good as far a reactions goes from what I hear.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Are you sure you know what immune means? :troll:

That is pretty good as far a reactions goes from what I hear.
Lol as close to immune as one could be. Full on hair kicking frenzy from a t stirmi that resulted in only minor itching and burning for a few hours.

CABIV

Arachnosquire

You have no idea how right you are. Probably while this thread was posted, it molted! It turns out its a "He", and he is now mature. I was excited to see it molt, but I am a bit disappointed that it is apparently not going to last, considering how much he cost. On the other hand, if his hairs turn out to be the cause of my discomfort, maybe its not a bad thing.

I wish I knew people around here that bred these things. Maybe I could get a spiderling and start from the beginning!

Looks like male pedipalps to me.

basin79

ArachnoGod
You have no idea how right you are. Probably while this thread was posted, it molted! It turns out its a "He", and he is now mature. I was excited to see it molt, but I am a bit disappointed that it is apparently not going to last, considering how much he cost. On the other hand, if his hairs turn out to be the cause of my discomfort, maybe its not a bad thing.

I wish I knew people around here that bred these things. Maybe I could get a spiderling and start from the beginning!

Looks like male pedipalps to me.

Ahhhhhh gutting. I'm sure there'll be a lot of keepers who'd be willing to take him off your hands for a price or if they're regulars in here some slings.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I picked my big girl up barehanded once. She was ready to fall out of her tote, so I had a split second to react. I then put her quickly on the floor, aand she then haired and hissed at me. I'm immune, as i only had itching and burning on my arms and neck similar to insulation for about 3 hours.
If THAT'S what you call a resistance to the hairs, then I'm out. I've been exposed to insulation before and it sucked.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This seems like a random occurence
And so is the sun rising :rolleyes:

All people react differently to urticating setae. Some people only a single species in the NW bothers them, others all etc.

Generally people get little blisters, like heat bumps. It tends to be quite itchy.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I only had 2 of them over 13 years, both at different times so no breeding attempts.
When I shipped the second one it was so big the only vessel I could fit it in was a styrofoam
bait bucket. They both haired me and the itching/burning lasted 2 weeks. :arghh::arghh::arghh: