T Stirmi Enclosure

Demonslayer446

Arachnopeon
I recently got a sub adult Theraphosa stirmi from a local pet shop. The people there had no idea how to properly keep a spider like this, substrate was bone dry and there was at least 8-9 inches of space for the poor thing to climb and potentially fall. I basically had to get it, broke my heart seeing it like that, but anyways... I set up a new enclosure for it with about a 50/50 mix of josh's frogs bioactive substrate and jungle mix with sphagnum moss scattered around the enclosure. I also bought a hide with plenty of space for it considering it's already about 7-7.5 inches. I try to mist the enclosure about once or twice a day or when needed and poor 2 cups of water down the corners of the enclosure once a week. living in New York during the winter with the heaters on constantly makes it VERY dry in the house so any water I spray in there is gone within 24 hours. I attached some photos below and I was wondering if anybody could give me some suggestions and tell me how I'm doing. This is my first real moisture dependent spider and I wanna do it right, I've raised 5 slings of different species with no issue but I can't help being a little worried about this big guy

It's in a 20 gallon aquarium that's about 16 inches long and 10 inches tall. A good 6.5 inches of substrate to prevent falls
IMG_0945[1].JPG IMG_0946[1].JPG

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
With all that moisture, you're going to want cross ventilation. Also for the lid-the screens are dangerous. Their feet can get stuck and then legs rip out as they clumsily fall. Misting isn't really beneficial-you want to just dampen the substrate. Being too wet is a bad thing too, so be careful not to over-do it. This looks more wet than it needs to be but hopefully it'll dry out. You basically want the bottom layers moist so it can dig down if it wants.

Demonslayer446

Arachnopeon
I was planning on replacing the lid very soon, it already had one leg stuck the other day. It's a bit dryer now as well... I believe I took those pictures seconds after spraying the new substrate I put in. Thank you for the help:)

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
One thing I would change up is your real wood half log hide, It will just mold on you with the moisture from substrate and give you problems. I would swap it with a piece of cork bark or something similar as they don't mold. Looks good otherwise!!!

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Somewhat similar to my Apophysis set up. 5.5 gallon, lots of substrate and springtails. It looks a bit different now as he/she has burrowed down a good 4 inches or more, plus I put some plants in today. I do not mist anything but the moss.

Aside from being an Apophysis, I think they are similar in husbandry, damp substrate with lots of ventilation. 20210122_165508.jpg