8leggedRN

#1 Deadpool Fan
Arachnosupporter +
My female T. stirmi molted and is now ready for her final big girl enclosure. I'd like to do a vivarium type enclosure, and I have several little ferns and plants that I'm going to use for it. We have a large springtail colony.

This is what she's in right now, she's molted three times in my care, and had no issues. I changed out her smaller water dish this morning with this larger one, because after this molt a few days ago, I don't think she'd fit into the old one.

I wanted to post pictures of my current set up to get input on the humidity level. I'm using lava rock with fiberglass window screen between the substrate and the rock. The substrate is a blend of Reptisoil and the usual coco. When I look at the substrate, the way I can describe the moisture level is like a nice moist cake someone has just sliced. There is usually about 1/4" of water in the lava rock layer, and her water dish has not gotten low (I do refill with fresh weekly). I see her out and about routinely, when disturbed, back to her burrow she goes. This morning she was sitting with some of her legs slightly curled under her, which of course incited a slight panic. She behaved normally when stimulated however.

Thanks for any input. She was in her burrow for all the photo taking. 20190810_083846.jpg 20190810_083827.jpg 20190810_083721.jpg 20190810_083708.jpg 20190810_083846.jpg 20190810_083827.jpg 20190810_083721.jpg 20190810_083708.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
lava rocks and a screen divider? Geez, thats a terrible idea....just deep damp sub, dont go all wacky trying to accomplish something that doesnt need to be accomplished.

Deep damp sub, thats it. Humidity numbers arent relevant.

8leggedRN

#1 Deadpool Fan
Arachnosupporter +
lava rocks and a screen divider? Geez, thats a terrible idea....just deep damp sub, dont go all wacky trying to accomplish something that doesnt need to be accomplished.

Deep damp sub, thats it. Humidity numbers arent relevant.
I thought by doing that, I could get a more stable humidity level for the long term. I'm not using any hygrometers or anything. So the drainage level is overkill then?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
This species LOVES to burrow. With the way that cage is setup, the tarantula can't really do that much. I'd say Theraphosa need a good eight inches or more of substrate to burrow in. A lot of the time plants are put at odds with tarantulas because the two have vastly different moisture/light requirements and ultimately one ends up dying. Remember, the plants do absolutely nothing for the tarantula.

cold blood

Staff member
They n
I thought by doing that, I could get a more stable humidity level for the long term. I'm not using any hygrometers or anything. So the drainage level is overkill then?
They need damp sub...not stable humidity levels.