T stirmi enclosure idea good or bad??

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Ok so i want to do a naturalistic vivarium for her. She is currently in a sterilite tote but i just had an awesome idea. I used to be big into aquariums. Anyway i have a 30 gal aquarium that i am not using. It dawned on me that i could drill it the way they do for sumps. Put several holes on each side then fit them with those plastic vents with silicone you can get on Ebay. This would create the cross ventilation and the get a plexi door kit from etsy. Also i wanted to use expansion foam and go all out for a back ground. Can you use live plants with them or will they jusf get trampled? Tips? Thanks

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
You certainly can have plants. You need to ensure that any plants you add will be suitable for the spiders environment. In a 30 gal. It should be possible to set it up so the spider has its area and plants get mostly left alone.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The plants are likely to get trampled at first while the tarantula explores its new enclosure, but most plants are pretty resilient and will bounce back from a trampling.

What are the dimensions of the tank you're thinking of using?

basin79

ArachnoGod
With it being an aquarium I'd tip it over. Have the top as the front. Get a couple of pieces of glass cut and silicone them at the bottom to create an exo terra look. That will hold in the sub. Silicone plastic sliders in place and get 2 pieces of glass cut for the doors.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
The plants are likely to get trampled at first while the tarantula explores its new enclosure, but most plants are pretty resilient and will bounce back from a trampling.

I wanna say its like 30x12. Whatever a 30 hal tall is and i could put a ton of substrate in too

Newtot

Arachnosquire

Its 36x12x16.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Its 36x12x16.
One of the issues you're going to have is that filling up the tank enough with substrate will reduce the height that you would have for plants. This will mean you need to choose low growing plants, this might prove a challenge.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
One of the issues you're going to have is that filling up the tank enough with substrate will reduce the height that you would have for plants. This will mean you need to choose low growing plants, this might prove a challenge.
I was thinking pothos since it is a vine and is super hard to kill.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
do about 1-2" of the hydroballs, a layer of mesh and then lay down dirt and plants. make sure the lid is well vented.