T. stirmi breeding

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel

Realized I haven't posted this here, or really posted much at all lately. Finally got around to pairing up Theraphosa stirmi!

The female as expected was extremely receptive to the male, and he managed to get at least one solid insertion with no aggression. They've also shown no further interest on either side post that pairing, which is an excellent sign.

The female has taken up her hide and made a bowl in the substrate, and is still eating like a monster. I've attempted to cool the temps down a bit for her, but don't want to get too low given some of the other members of my collection. Does anyone who has bred Theraphosa have input on how low they really need to be cooled for a successful sac?

Hopefully I'll have a batch of slings on the market later this year :)

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Hi

Realized I haven't posted this here, or really posted much at all lately. Finally got around to pairing up Theraphosa stirmi!

The female as expected was extremely receptive to the male, and he managed to get at least one solid insertion with no aggression. They've also shown no further interest on either side post that pairing, which is an excellent sign.

The female has taken up her hide and made a bowl in the substrate, and is still eating like a monster. I've attempted to cool the temps down a bit for her, but don't want to get too low given some of the other members of my collection. Does anyone who has bred Theraphosa have input on how low they really need to be cooled for a successful sac?

Had a go with t blondi myself /looking good 13wk ago i paired my male with female 4-5 times many good inserts lots of dancing grappling back&forth.one time the male got charged off six times but went onto mate finally for 10 min.Now my female webbed off thin veil of web /stopped eating/a day later she moved earth &webbed off took 4 days then finished moving earth and lightly sealed the burrow(see pics theraphosa gallery)now its been 10 days since last activity i hope within days or week or so she lays her sac.The most important thing is at this stage no disturbance!dont let temps go 5.c up in a short time hope this helps

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Hi

Had a go with t blondi myself /looking good 13wk ago i paired my male with female 4-5 times many good inserts lots of dancing grappling back&forth.one time the male got charged off six times but went onto mate finally for 10 min.Now my female webbed off thin veil of web /stopped eating/a day later she moved earth &webbed off took 4 days then finished moving earth and lightly sealed the burrow(see pics theraphosa gallery)now its been 10 days since last activity i hope within days or week or so she lays her sac.The most important thing is at this stage no disturbance!dont let temps go 5.c up in a short time hope this helps
Of forgot to say they normally lay their sacks a few weeks after closing off burrow i read on a care sheet pet products.

esa space station

Arachnoknight

You are meant to cool them off for a few weeks /then warm them back up with also higher humidity wet ground.However i read on internet not many folk bother they just make it more humid later on.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
You are meant to cool them off for a few weeks /then warm them back up with also higher humidity wet ground.However i read on internet not many folk bother they just make it more humid later on.
That’s exactly what I’ve come up with in my research as well, just wasn’t sure how low people cool them to. I’m curious if the cooling is considered necessary by some because they keep them much warmer to begin with.

esa space station

Arachnoknight

Well from previous exp i can recall no real temp change was needed and kept at same temp with water introduced to her burrow which seemed to trigger her 11.5wks later and construction began all looked good till she molted out!note dont bother with 2nd hand males rear them on yourself so you know they are fresh !