T stirmi breeding size?

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
My T stirmi female revenly molted and I'm interested in breeding her but that would require purchasing a MM and I'm not 100% sure what size is considered mature. I've included a pic of the molt if anyone can tell if her spermatheca have hardened.

Attachments

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've had 9" stirmi molt and turn into 10" adult males. I wouldn't breed a stirmi female under 9".

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You may want to look into their sac size. Without a good plan on what to do with those slings, you may end up getting overwhelmed. You won't sell them off overnight.

But my guess is that she's a little small. Scleretized or not, that's a relatively small female.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
You may want to look into their sac size. Without a good plan on what to do with those slings, you may end up getting overwhelmed. You won't sell them off overnight.

But my guess is that she's a little small. Scleretized or not, that's a relatively small female.
Haven't measured her yet, my best guess is over 7" since the molt was over 6". From what ive read they have relatively small sacks, especially since its young female and theraphosas are in high demand, a few for me, a bunch to give away to friends leaves a couple dozen to sell, $25 each should move them fast. I'm more interested in the breeding and the slings id keep. I have a breedable LP but there's no way I'm dealing with those numbers

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
$25 each? Where do you live, which country? Those slings sell for a few dollars each here in the States. They're the freebies, like B. albopilosum.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh. Well that would explain it, then. Yeah, the price of those things are insane across the pond - my 8" female was $90 when I got her.

Then I'd say give it one more molt or two, and then attempt a pairing.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
Oh. Well that would explain it, then. Yeah, the price of those things are insane across the pond - my 8" female was $90 when I got her.

Then I'd say give it one more molt or two, and then attempt a pairing.
when you say a few bucks and freebies I assume you mean the Lp. stirmis im sure are worth more in the states.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
when you say a few bucks and freebies I assume you mean the Lp. stirmis im sure are worth more in the states.
No, I'm definitely talking about stirmis. I see them for sale for around $15 (often less) as slings, but when you make a big order of other spiders, your freebies tend to be either albos or stirmis.

cold blood

Staff member
No, I'm definitely talking about stirmis. I see them for sale for around $15 (often less) as slings, but when you make a big order of other spiders, your freebies tend to be either albos or stirmis.
What??? I've never seen T. stirmi slings go anywhere near that cheap...I've also never once heard of them being offered as freebies.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
What. I have NEVER seen a stirmi sling even remotely that cheap, in fact I just bought mine for more than quadruple that price, because it was the first I had seen available in a very long time. That's wild.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Are you all serious? Just the last expo I went to, just about every booth had stirmi slings for sale at around those prices. I even got a sling as a freebie from the guy I bought my batch from.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
At the show were we just at they had a whole stack of large (6-8ish inches) T.stirmi going for 60 dollars. I didn't get one as they are one of the few on my not wanted list.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
SA/A males going for £55 here in the Uk. (spidershop).

Never seem a stirmi/apophysis/blondi cheap ever. (were going for around £85 for 4 cm slings on one website..an adult female stirmi £219 currently on sale, ).

Last edited:

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
SA/A males going for £55 here in the Uk. (spidershop).

Never seem a stirmi/apophysis/blondi cheap ever.
If I decide to mate her I'll get one of those. Got my female from them. Ordered a juvi unsexed ~3" for £49 and asked for a female if possible. Got a 6" female. Was over the moon. I think they were selling those for £75 at the time

Last edited:

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Freebies for spending how much? I'm guessing it's must be large purchases of several hundred dollars or more. And they are certainly not the normal "give away" species like B. albos or LPs. I've seen larger "unsexed" specimens for sale for relatively cheap, but the slings are usually $50+ from what I've seen. Perhaps someone had some to unload and didn't mind letting them go cheap at a show, but to say they're a few dollars here? No way. Could someone be selling them for that cheap? Maybe. But it's certainly NOT a common price for them.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
I would only use Spidershop and Brett's exotic pets. The others I listed were from Tarantulas bristol...

If you are Uk do you know any of the invert tubers like Dan Oakley and the Spiderman? Could put you in touch with them and see if they have or know any males..

p.s ongoing probs with T bristol...hopefully they refund me soon.
I don't know any of the tubers but I watch the videos, I also don't feel comfortable taking someone elses male as I'm inexperienced with breeding and would feel awful if I have to call and say oops your guys dead. I have had little issues with TB my self in the last while. Never heard of Brett's exotic pets.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
I don't know any of the tubers but I watch the videos, I also don't feel comfortable taking someone elses male as I'm inexperienced with breeding and would feel awful if I have to call and say oops your guys dead. I have had little issues with TB my self in the last while. Never heard of Brett's exotic pets.
Check out brett's exotic pets and wild tarantulas on facebook. Also people recommend Martin Goss tarantulas.

P.S Well I can ask on invert-tubers for you. But fair enough I know what you mean. I know them both..(not socially except the one time at the BTS).

Send me a message if you want me to ask on facebook etc. Maybe good for you anyways if you want to sell some slings..

I.e me haha!!!

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
Check out brett's exotic pets and wild tarantulas on facebook. Also people recommend Martin Goss tarantulas.

P.S Well I can ask on invert-tubers for you. But fair enough I know what you mean. I know them both..(not socially except the one time at the BTS).

Send me a message if you want me to ask on facebook etc.
She just molted so if I am breeding her ill be doing it in October, in the meantime im waiting on an H incei female from TB to breed with my recently matured male.