T. Stirmi - bloated shiny white abdomen!

TerminatorStirmi

Arachnopeon
Hey Everyone,

It's a pleasure to meet you all! I am quite desperate for some help, and believe me I've already read any relevant (and fantastic) discussions on this forum already.

As in the subject, and pictures - I am seriously struggling to explain this. Her looks are best described by the pictures attached, and here are a few facts about her behaviour lately:
- She ate a small mouse roughly 60 hours ago.
- She was super excited and active for about 24 hours right after.
- Then, she started to sit right by her water container all the time (I just gave her that shallow water dish, and she basically ran straight to it).
- At one point I saw her squeeze out a bit of watery liquid from the anus, and I was sure I saw it come out of the abdomen itself (like if it was over-pressurized and the liquid wanted to come out however possible). This happened only once.
- For the past 36 hours she has been almost non-stop scratching and rubbing her abdomen with her legs. This has been her only activity as otherwise I would describe her behaviour as extremely lethargic.
- Perhaps most concerning is the fact that it appears that she's tried to walk, but would rather wobble a bit, instead.

Just to clarify on the abdomen situation. She actually has been rubbing it before (for a month or two already), but with far lower intensity and frequency. Also the abdomen has been slowly getting bold for a bit over a month (not just the past 2-3 days).

If you have any hints or suggestions on what's happening, I would greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I can't make out whether the whiter part of the abdomen is a problem or not as looks to have 3 layers (hair, skin, the whiter bit?), what I would say is:
1. Theraphosa are pigs and have a tendency to over eat if you let them
2. The secretion you mentioned was probably poop as it is a clear (ish) to white liquid anyway and spiders often poop in their water dish
3. She looks very big and I normally would not feed mice either as some people reckon that can cause digestion problems
4. Constant rubbing if often a sign of either an impending moult (unlikely in this instance as skin is too light) or an irritant possibly in the substrate?
Can't offer much else I am afraid.
Keep that water topped up especially when such a shallow one and look out for poop in it.

Good luck 👍

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I recommend you refrain from feeding mice ever again

TerminatorStirmi

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much for your comments! This wasn't her first mouse, but I absolutely agree - not the best snack overall, and I will definitely limit that.

@The Spider House; Thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated! Good point about the soil, I'll investigate. I wish I could add more water, but I would really rather not disturb her right now.

She's spent the last 12 hours almost frozen in time (I have a motion camera above her so I know that she literally moved her leg twice). The abdomen has darkened quite a bit compared to last night.

We shall see.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Thanks so much for your comments! This wasn't her first mouse, but I absolutely agree - not the best snack overall, and I will definitely limit that.

@The Spider House; Thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated! Good point about the soil, I'll investigate. I wish I could add more water, but I would really rather not disturb her right now.

She's spent the last 12 hours almost frozen in time (I have a motion camera above her so I know that she literally moved her leg twice). The abdomen has darkened quite a bit compared to last night.

We shall see.
If darkened, then will be going in to pre moult stage. No more food and lots of water 👍