T. Stigmurus

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I think I’m ok with bec I’ve kept some very tough tarantulas and am always super cautious. I NEVER handle any invertebrates strictly enjo watching the do their thing and setting up enclosures. I am aware it’s got significant sting. The only time it will be rehoused is if/when it has babies and goes to a communal em lore and even then I likely would only use tongs to move it or objects. Any office would be appreciated on how to manipulate it. Too late now though it’s in its first enclosure and eating well
Even so, these things are to a degree different than tarantulas, and so caution is necessary, especially when you are unfamiliar with scorpions in general.
That said, you certainly seem to have the right mindset required, and so I wish you best of luck with them. Though trust me, the Sting of the Tityus does not stop with stigmurus...remember serrulatus, smithii, asthenes, obscurus, paraensis, metuendus, fasciolatus...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
No offenses they are super interesting but tailless whip scorpions and vinigaroons look terrifying looking to me! Lol I know little about them though beyond the very basics. What do you like About the?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Even so, these things are to a degree different than tarantulas, and so caution is necessary, especially when you are unfamiliar with scorpions in general.
That said, you certainly seem to have the right mindset required, and so I wish you best of luck with them. Though trust me, the Sting of the Tityus does not stop with stigmurus...remember serrulatus, smithii, asthenes, obscurus, paraensis, metuendus, fasciolatus...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Are any other’s parthenogenic? Bc I like the way TS looks but that’s the coolest thing ever especially being largely communal

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
No offenses they are super interesting but tailless whip scorpions and vinigaroons look terrifying looking to me! Lol I know little about them though beyond the very basics. What do you like About the?
I just think they are gentle and fascinating. They’re both harmless to people. They kind of remind me of the butterflies of the arachnid world. They’re not tough at all. Really docile and friendly. I also really admire the spunk and aggression in some of my scorpions, it’s just nice to have both sides of the spectrum 😊

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Are any other’s parthenogenic? Bc I like the way TS looks but that’s the coolest thing ever especially being largely communal
I know serrulatus is, but I have not heard reports of parthenogenesis for most/all of the other species.
If you are interested in parthenogenetic species, Hottentotta hottentotta and several species of Liocheles are also parthenogenetic, amongst I'm sure others that I am not recalling at the moment.

As for whipspiders (AKA tailless whip scorpions, which in my opinion is too long of a name), which are also called amblypygi, many species are communal, and are completely harmless to humans. Several species from the genus Charinus (chief among them being acosta) are also parthenogenetic.
Vinegaroons, while neither communal or parthenogenetic (as far as I know), are still quite fascinating creatures, and come in some great colors and sizes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I know serrulatus is, but I have not heard reports of parthenogenesis for most/all of the other species.
If you are interested in parthenogenetic species, Hottentotta hottentotta and several species of Liocheles are also parthenogenetic, amongst I'm sure others that I am not recalling at the moment.

As for whipspiders (AKA tailless whip scorpions, which in my opinion is too long of a name), which are also called amblypygi, many species are communal, and are completely harmless to humans. Several species from the genus Charinus (chief among them being acosta) are also parthenogenetic.
Vinegaroons, while neither communal or parthenogenetic (as far as I know), are still quite fascinating creatures, and come in some great colors and sizes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I didn’t know there were species of whip scorpions that were parthenogenetic! That’s amazing! You’ve helped more than one person on the same question well done 😊

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I didn’t know there were species of whip scorpions that were parthenogenetic! That’s amazing! You’ve helped more than one person on the same question well done 😊
Nah, I didn't really introduce any new information, just concurred and expanded a bit upon what you and others already said.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

ignithium

Arachnoknight
Only tangentially related but is good to keep in mind that scorpions sting from genus like tityus is a lot worse than old world tarantula bite. Admittedly it is a lot harder to get sting. I am not yet expert (working on it) but to my knowledge for humans scorpions from the very hot genus (tityus, leiurus, androctonus, buthus and variants, Hottentotta) can be quite a bit worse than even the most hot spiders like Latrodectus, phoneutria and atrax. I have not been tagged by any of these (excepting Latrodectus) but the toxinology department from university of Adelaide records a much higher untreated fatality rate for scorpions than for spiders (less than 1% for mentioned spiders, 20-35% for scorpion depending on species). For comparison, some species like androctonus can be comparable to being hit by a venomous snake! Tityus is pretty close but like I say they are really hard to be stung by. Stigmurus is more one of the less chilled tityus species (I can even free handle T. magnimanus and T. smithii they are so relax) but they don't climbing glass or plastic or jumping and they don't really bolting so just have fun!

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Yeh definitely worse than even some of the worst Ts... I’ve done a little research on how potent it is and pretty much all of the 1% that die are very small children even babies. While I would likely want to die if I got stung bc of pain/side effects. It seems I’m likely to be ok long term. Not that that makes it much better but I’d never consider getting an animal that could absolutely kill with exposure. I do appreciate the heads up and will def be overly cautious especially once communal and I can’t always keep track of each scorpion. He’s definitely one of my favorite inverts ever. O my about .65 inches long and already ate a one inch roach he snatched while hanging upside down. Def want to get more scorpions already

ignithium

Arachnoknight
Yeh definitely worse than even some of the worst Ts... I’ve done a little research on how potent it is and pretty much all of the 1% that die are very small children even babies. While I would likely want to die if I got stung bc of pain/side effects. It seems I’m likely to be ok long term. Not that that makes it much better but I’d never consider getting an animal that could absolutely kill with exposure. I do appreciate the heads up and will def be overly cautious especially once communal and I can’t always keep track of each scorpion. He’s definitely one of my favorite inverts ever. O my about .65 inches long and already ate a one inch roach he snatched while hanging upside down. Def want to get more scorpions already
This is the fun part about hot species. They can take big prey. I love feeding my juvenile phoneutria roaches that are twice their size.

woodie

Arachnosquire

Thanks,

Arthroverts

About 20 years ago I used to keep a species of Indonesia vinegaroon that we kept communally and bred successfully. Unfortunately afterwards lost them and some holdback babies I didn't sell in an ant infestation.
I actually preferred them, Not as large as the American species but had orange coloration in their joints. Haven't seen them available since then

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
About 20 years ago I used to keep a species of Indonesia vinegaroon that we kept communally and bred successfully. Unfortunately afterwards lost them and some holdback babies I didn't sell in an ant infestation.
I actually preferred them, Not as large as the American species but had orange coloration in their joints. Haven't seen them available since then
Really? I am pleasantly surprised. Do you have any idea on which genus it was in? Thelyphonus or Typopeltis? Or do you have any pictures of them from the time?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

woodie

Arachnosquire
No pictures, Just going off memory and no clue what they were. Only listed as Indonesian

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
No pictures, Just going off memory and no clue what they were. Only listed as Indonesian
Fascinating. They have since died out over here, right? Or do you know anyone else who still has them?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

woodie

Arachnosquire
Fascinating. They have since died out over here, right? Or do you know anyone else who still has them?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I'm pretty sure not here. But would have no clue who back then would have any. Going off 20 year memories

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I'm pretty sure not here. But would have no clue who back then would have any. Going off 20 year memories
Probably not here anymore, and what's sad is that since there was no information other than "Indonesian Vinegaroon" (which in of itself may be inaccurate), we probably wouldn't know what species it is without someone finding and keeping them together without issues for a while, which no one is going to recommend since most species kill each other when kept together.
*sigh*

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Jocweatherford

Arachnopeon
So uh...scorp birth control? Will the parthogenic species stop breeding when they fill up their area or something?