T. stigmurus babies

shanazzle

Arachnopeon
I have three t stigmurus in a large critter cage with lots of cork, and Ive had them for almost 2 years without having them reproduce, but today they decided to try it and now all three have babies on their backs. I havent had any experience with baby scorpions before so I was wondering what I should do, should I separate them? what should I feed them, how big and how often? Do they eat food from their mothers or hunt themselves? They were all just born today and the tank is warm and humid without a water bowl. I would appreciate any feedback at all, thank you in advance :)

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
No, don't seperate them yet. The need to stay on the mother's back. Just keep the humidity and temperatures up so they can molt properly. Once they have molted into second instar and have been on the mother's back a little longer, then you should seperate them.

They can probably take micro crickets or fruit flies, although the latter is often hard to find. Don't worry, they can take crickets about 150% their size. However, don't always expect them to eat as much as once or twice a week. In my experiences with T. bastosi babies, they might only eat once every two weeks. The mothers may feed them, but they will most likely hunt food themselves. They won't eat until they molt into second instar. The conditions sound excellent. Congradulations and good luck with the babies!:D;)

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While I have no experience with this species, what might work is legs pulled off crickets. It's what I give to my 2nd instar C. fulvipes. I've also given prekilled tiny spiders to small scorpion species, and termites.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And make sure the young can't escape from the kritter keepers...When the sides are stained or became rough, these tiny young could be able to climb them and escape through the roof of the KK.

When you keep the sides clean and smooth they it will not be easy for them to climb them...

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
And make sure the young can't escape from the kritter keepers...When the sides are stained or became rough, these tiny young could be able to climb them and escape through the roof of the KK.

When you keep the sides clean and smooth they it will not be easy for them to climb them...
Yeah, good point. Even when I keep it relatively clean my T. bastosi can climb the plastic. I came in one night to find one just resting on the side of the container at the top. As you know, they are also extremely fast; T. bastosi can leap.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Hey there.
Are you planning on selling any of theses ?
Would really love to add some more Tityus Species to my collection!

Can trade some Tityus magnimanus slings :D

shanazzle

Arachnopeon
thank you for all the advice :) I have plastic wrap over the top with little holes in in, primarily to keep humidity up but it would stop babies from crawling out, I never thought of that! I'm from Alberta. They all just molted today and are looking beautiful. I think I will try the microcrickets because the idea of pulling cricket legs off kinda terrifies me, out of all the feeder insects I find myself the most jumpy with crickets I dont know why haha. Do you think it will be alright to keep the three adults in the same tank? I know theyre communal and they seem to be fine in this tank, its pretty big, but you never know. I'm not sure about selling any yet just because I want to make sure I know how to raise them properly to a certain point but then yes I will advertise if I find myself overloaded :)

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice! I'm heading to edmonton in 2 hours for the weekend, if you're around that area I would love to snag a few of em if you're willing to part with them. I'll check back tomorrow :)

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
thank you for all the advice :) I have plastic wrap over the top with little holes in in, primarily to keep humidity up but it would stop babies from crawling out, I never thought of that! I'm from Alberta. They all just molted today and are looking beautiful. I think I will try the microcrickets because the idea of pulling cricket legs off kinda terrifies me, out of all the feeder insects I find myself the most jumpy with crickets I dont know why haha. Do you think it will be alright to keep the three adults in the same tank? I know theyre communal and they seem to be fine in this tank, its pretty big, but you never know. I'm not sure about selling any yet just because I want to make sure I know how to raise them properly to a certain point but then yes I will advertise if I find myself overloaded :)
I would seperate the babies soon so the other scorpions do not eat them.