T.Seladonia advice needed please.

VictoriaBR

Arachnopeon
Hello!
I’m looking for some advice regarding my T.Seladonia. I’ve had it just over a week now and it still hasn’t built itself the trapdoor. It’s also super active and spends pretty much all day walking around or sat at the highest part of its cork bark out in the open. It also spends a lot of time climbing the walls of its enclosure, but it constantly falls and lands on its floor. I’ve seen it’s spinnerets moving and trying to lay down some web and anchor points but it doesn’t seem to actually produce any web, and so it keeps falling, and I’m terrified it’s going to hurt itself. As soon as it lands it attempts to climb again.
All it’s temperatures are as instructed as well as it’s enclosure with plenty of little holes in the bark and loads of loose building materials for it, but it just doesn’t seem happy at all and I’m concerned it’s stressing by the way it does the wall of the death round it’s enclosure.
This is my first T.Seladonia and despite research and preparation, this one seems to be acting out of character for this type of spider.
Really grateful for anyone’s help that has one of these and if this is pretty normal for the first week or two after moving home? :)

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I typed seladonia on search bar and got these right away:

And they are:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello!
I’m looking for some advice regarding my T.Seladonia. I’ve had it just over a week now and it still hasn’t built itself the trapdoor. It’s also super active and spends pretty much all day walking around or sat at the highest part of its cork bark out in the open. It also spends a lot of time climbing the walls of its enclosure, but it constantly falls and lands on its floor. I’ve seen it’s spinnerets moving and trying to lay down some web and anchor points but it doesn’t seem to actually produce any web, and so it keeps falling, and I’m terrified it’s going to hurt itself. As soon as it lands it attempts to climb again.
All it’s temperatures are as instructed as well as it’s enclosure with plenty of little holes in the bark and loads of loose building materials for it, but it just doesn’t seem happy at all and I’m concerned it’s stressing by the way it does the wall of the death round it’s enclosure.
This is my first T.Seladonia and despite research and preparation, this one seems to be acting out of character for this type of spider.
Really grateful for anyone’s help that has one of these and if this is pretty normal for the first week or two after moving home? :)
I HOPE this isn’t your first T. If it is, what a bad idea to purchase this species, if it isn’t great idea!

Have you searched this forum first? Not many people own these, so if yours dies I wouldn’t be surprised, if it thrives wouldn’t surprise me either.

Falling down typical of pre-molt.

@BoyFromLA - amazing what searching will do!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

And they are:

Read these threads. Period.

VictoriaBR

Arachnopeon

And they are:

Yes I’ve already read them before posting my questions. Like I said, I’ve researched and prepared for this spider for over a year and I wanted to speak to someone that actually has a T.Seladonia.

I HOPE this isn’t your first T. If it is, what a bad idea to purchase this species, if it isn’t great idea!

Have you searched this forum first? Not many people own these, so if yours dies I wouldn’t be surprised, if it thrives wouldn’t surprise me either.

Falling down typical of pre-molt.

@BoyFromLA - amazing what searching will do!
Yes I’ve already searched the forum before posting my questions. Like I said, I’ve researched and prepared for this spider for over a year and I wanted to speak to someone that actually has a T.Seladonia.
No it’s not my first T.

Read these threads. Period.
Already searched and read through this forum before posting my questions and requesting to speak to someone that actually has a Seladonia.

Did you give it lichen? Usually they're shipped with their previous door aswell
Yep it has all the loose materials recommended for it. The piece of bark arrived with a little piece snapped off, so there were two bits in its tube. Not sure if it happened during transit, which I highly doubt, or whether it came like that and it’s trapdoor joined the two separate pieces and was disturbed during transit. Either way, I couldn’t find a trapdoor and it hasn’t located it either by the looks of it.😢

8 legged

Arachnoprince
How old is your T. seladonia, how do you keep it (damp or dry, circulating air, etc. - it's best to post a photo of the enclosure!)?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Perfect! @8 legged has appeared. @wizentrop and @Marlana would also be great people to talk with about this species.
So you will receive the consultation with experts that you seek, and you have come to the right place (as I went to the right place in Bath, making a pilgrimage to study Jane Austen, although she didn't like living in Bath -- how do you like it there? Perhaps Steventon is better?).

Here is another thread for you to read:

Last edited:

VictoriaBR

Arachnopeon
How old is your T. seladonia, how do you keep it (damp or dry, circulating air, etc. - it's best to post a photo of the enclosure!)?
It was born in June of this year and has been through one molt.
It’s still in its original enclosure as it was shipped with it. I just added some of the recommended trapdoor making materials for. The only issue it’s piece of cork bark was in two on arrival so I don’t know if it’s trapdoor was in the join if the 2 pieces and was disturbed in transit. I’ve been reluctant to remove them an add a more suitable piece of cork bark as I thought having its original one in their would help it feel more familiar and safer for it.
The temps are fine as far as I can tell (it’s tube is too small to put a probe in it) but the weather here in the UK currently is a barmy hot one. When it arrived and it’s was cooler it lived on the shelf near my other spiders but towards the warmer end when my snake viv’s heat lamp is under and the temps around the Seladonia’s tube were as recommended.
I’ve been putting one drop of water down the side of its tube each day which has been difficult because it’s been walking round the top so when the kid comes off it just comes out for a walk. I’m not saying it’s been awful to see it and handle it, but I wanted to disturb it as little as possible and let it get comfy in it tube.
It hasn’t eaten at all with me either but it did arrive with a fly which had been eaten and I know they don’t feed much so I’m hoping that is the reason it’s not eaten yet.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
At this stage it is possible that a trap door will not be built, there is nothing to worry about. I already offer killed animals, my seladonias usually accept this. If the spiders wander permanently, this could be due to poor air circulation. Otherwise, wait and see and stay cool.
Maybe you become more infos after posting a pic of the enclosure!

Last edited:

VictoriaBR

Arachnopeon
Perfect! @8 legged has appeared. @wizentrop and @Marlana would also great people to talk with about this species.
So you will receive the consultation with experts that you seek, and you have come to the right place (as I went to the right place in Bath, making a pilgrimage to study Jane Austen, although she didn't like living in Bath -- how do you like it there? Perhaps Steventon is better?).

Here is another thread for you to read:
To be honest I’ve not seen much of bath really. I’m on a military base about 10 miles away in a very isolated farming area with not much transport. I think there’s a bus that goes into bath in January and returns in June 😉😂
We move again next year but would be nice to try and see bath at some point properly, although I doubt it with Covid.
Thanks for tagging those guys that I could chat with hopefully about my spider drama. I’m reluctant to join forums as the reptile one I was part of were very judgemental towards anyone that asked a question and god forbid someone actually had a problem they needed help with, they would pounce and hand out public executions! Not a nice place to be at all which is sad really. They were quite snobby towards anyone that didn’t have 30+ years of reptile keeping experience but failed to realised you can only get 30+ years of experience by actually owning a real live reptile. Was such a shame they weren’t using their wealth of knowledge and passing it on to the next generations of keepers.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
To be honest I’ve not seen much of bath really. I’m on a military base about 10 miles away in a very isolated farming area with not much transport. I think there’s a bus that goes into bath in January and returns in June 😉😂
We move again next year but would be nice to try and see bath at some point properly, although I doubt it with Covid.
Thanks for tagging those guys that I could chat with hopefully about my spider drama. I’m reluctant to join forums as the reptile one I was part of were very judgemental towards anyone that asked a question and god forbid someone actually had a problem they needed help with, they would pounce and hand out public executions! Not a nice place to be at all which is sad really. They were quite snobby towards anyone that didn’t have 30+ years of reptile keeping experience but failed to realised you can only get 30+ years of experience by actually owning a real live reptile. Was such a shame they weren’t using their wealth of knowledge and passing it on to the next generations of keepers.
Well, welcome! Stay here. Any apparent snobbishness around here is not to be taken seriously -- it's more like endearing grumpiness.
You're off to a capital start. You got @viper69 to write six full sentences! I like to think of him as possessing Laconic wit. Myself, I'm going for Attic salt. Don't remind me what the Spartans did to the Athenians!
So, reptiles. Your needs can be met here also in the 'Not So Spineless Wonders' section. There are many very experienced reptile keepers here as well (I'm not one of them, but @viper69 is, along with many others more loquacious than he).
Stale bread is more experienced than fresh-baked bread anyway, and which would we prefer? Everyone here will be happy to have you around.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Well this sounds like typical seladonia behavior. I think it’s the bane of every first time seladonia owner. Before they find a place to build and actually decide to, they wander constantly. It’s stressful (for us anyhow) but normal, at least in captivity. If they have suitable holes, and building materials they should eventually build.

I offer prekilled pinhead crickets or just a little bigger to my sling seladonia. Fruit flies are just crap food and my slings were scared of them. They are pretty great eaters, especially with a door. Mine molt every 6ish weeks. I keep them pretty warm though. I think raising this species is a delicate balance of trying to figure out what works for you and finding whatever info you can. I changed quite a few things with my husbandry as I observed them and researched their natural habitat and temps.

VictoriaBR

Arachnopeon
At this stage it is possible that a trap door will not be built, there is nothing to worry about. I already offer killed animals, my seladonias usually accept this. If the spiders wander permanently, this could be due to poor air circulation. Otherwise, wait and see and stay cool.
Maybe you become more infos after posting a pic of the enclosure!
345E481F-40E8-4328-8F21-DC9CFBE4D72C.jpeg

Well, welcome! Stay here. Any apparent snobbishness around here is not to be taken seriously -- it's more like endearing grumpiness.
You're off to a capital start. You got @viper69 to write six full sentences! I like to think of him as possessing Laconic wit. Myself, I'm going for Attic salt. Don't remind me what the Spartans did to the Athenians!
So, reptiles. Your needs can be met here also in the 'Not So Spineless Wonders' section. There are many very experienced reptile keepers here as well (I'm not one of them, but @viper69 is, along with many others more loquacious than he).
Stale bread is more experienced than fresh-baked bread anyway, and which would we prefer? Everyone here will be happy to have you around.
6 full sentences hey! I feel honoured 😂 I’m not what they’d call a reptile keeper, I sort of inherited my brothers snake a few years ago. I’ve always been the cute and fluffy type of animal person, cats, dogs, a couple of horses, injured animals my cats bring home, that sort of thing. I got a jumping spider a few years ago purely to help with my arachnophobia and then as with most people once they get their first spider, I ended up hooked and with an ever growing collection 😬 I’m fascinated by them now and happy to report my arachnophobia is mostly cured.

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
"Bath? Well Missy, you can't get there from heah." :rofl:
(Leaving the joke here cuz it's even funnier now that I realize she's in the UK and not Maine, USA. LOL)

There are a lot of helpful folks here. But like any community, you have your share of "sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads" and other assorted characters. Disregard the curmudgeons the right Wally's, roll with the useful information and you'll be fine. But, as Dave M. said, some of it is affected grumpiness and posted tongue in cheek..

You'll figure those guys out pretty quick. :cool:

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
View attachment 392329

6 full sentences hey! I feel honoured 😂 I’m not what they’d call a reptile keeper, I sort of inherited my brothers snake a few years ago. I’ve always been the cute and fluffy type of animal person, cats, dogs, a couple of horses, injured animals my cats bring home, that sort of thing. I got a jumping spider a few years ago purely to help with my arachnophobia and then as with most people once they get their first spider, I ended up hooked and with an ever growing collection 😬 I’m fascinated by them now and happy to report my arachnophobia is mostly cured.
If there are enough holes in the lid, the enclosure is great. If necessary, you can make two small holes near the floor. As I said, watch the animals and wait. In this life cycle, everything is possible even with adequate care. I have two slings of similar size and I hope for the best too!

VictoriaBR

Arachnopeon
"Bath? Well Missy, you can't get there from heah." :rofl:
(Leaving the joke here cuz it's even funnier now that I realize she's in the UK and not Maine, USA. LOL)

There are a lot of helpful folks here. But like any community, you have your share of "sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads" and other assorted characters. Disregard the curmudgeons the right Wally's, roll with the useful information and you'll be fine. But, as Dave M. said, some of it is affected grumpiness and posted tongue in cheek..

You'll figure those guys out pretty quick. :cool:
Sounds like a great group! Hopefully I’ll fit in with my British self deprecating dry whit, the fact I really don’t take myself seriously at all and usually have a cocktail in my hand no matter the time of day. 🥴

If there are enough holes in the lid, the enclosure is great. If necessary, you can make two small holes near the floor. As I said, watch the animals and wait. In this life cycle, everything is possible even with adequate care. I have two slings of similar size and I hope for the best too!
Fab, thank you for your help and telling me it’s ok to calm down and be patient 😂 It’s been a bucket list spider for a few years and now I have one I think I’m getting “helicopter mum” syndrome. The poor things probably sick of me gawking at it but it’s just so fascinating and pretty to watch. This morning was the first time it wasn’t doing the wall of death round the tube and I can’t actually see it, so I’m hoping it’s found a safe place and is contemplating building🤞 I will give it another couple days before I shine a torch to try find it if it still hasn’t made an appearance by then.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
My T. seladonias built their first trap door last night without warning. I am expecting a molt now. So, wait and see and have some tea, I'm sure that will happen to you soon too!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hello!
Are they legal to own in UK? Pretty sure anything recently poached from Brazil like this species is blanket banned under IUCN

VictoriaBR

Arachnopeon
Are they legal to own in UK? Pretty sure anything recently poached from Brazil like this species is blanket banned under IUCN
Yes they are legal here in the UK and all of Europe I believe. Because it’s been in the hobby for a few years now there’s no way of them tracing the original wild caught spiders and hopefully it means that no more will need to be taken from the wild either.
I believe it’s just the US that’s having the major issues with Brazil and have therefore had to make it illegal to smuggle, purchase or acquire this spider without authorised permission from the Brazil government.
The US has agreed though that anyone with one of these already won’t be prosecuted or have the spider confiscated if it’s already in their care and is for their personal collection. They just aren’t allowed to breed them or sell them.

Well this sounds like typical seladonia behavior. I think it’s the bane of every first time seladonia owner. Before they find a place to build and actually decide to, they wander constantly. It’s stressful (for us anyhow) but normal, at least in captivity. If they have suitable holes, and building materials they should eventually build.

I offer prekilled pinhead crickets or just a little bigger to my sling seladonia. Fruit flies are just crap food and my slings were scared of them. They are pretty great eaters, especially with a door. Mine molt every 6ish weeks. I keep them pretty warm though. I think raising this species is a delicate balance of trying to figure out what works for you and finding whatever info you can. I changed quite a few things with my husbandry as I observed them and researched their natural habitat and temps.
Thank you so much for that. It’s the constant wandering that had me worried as it literally didn’t stop walking round it’s enclosure for entire days. It’s now camped out on the lid of its tube just sat there 😩 It’s super hot here in the UK at the moment and my house temp hasn’t dropped below 24c for over a week now and all my other spider enclosures that have thermometers are reading around 25-29c which is too warm for some of the ones I have and causing me some serious stress but fine for the Seladonia. I also added some extra ventilation holes to be on the safe side. I’m hoping when I can upgrade it to a new enclosure that I can give it better cross ventilation but I’m reluctant to move it until it’s settled a bit more and built it’s trapdoor that I can transfer with it.
I won’t be getting any crickets for about a week, would a tiny pre-killed locust be ok to see if it will eat? Or is it not worth trying while it’s just sat on the lid not doing anything?