T. purpureus question

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for a possibly dumb question, I searched and had a hard time.

I'm from the scorpion forum and I really don't like spiders or T's.... BUT, I saw a picture on the main page of Tapinauchenius purpureus and I'm impressed. So beautiful, I can't resist to inquire about it... Are they a "mean" species? Where do they originate and would it be okay as a novice keeper (I've only ever owned one true spider which is a northern wolf spider that I like strictly because he is in a deli cup and not wandering my house and he is a good eater. Also would I need a tank for one or can I use a large tupperware cup like w/ scorps.

Thanks for your help in advance, sorry for a possibly noob question but like I said, I've had only scorpions but would like to diversify my collection a tad.

cryosi

Arachnopeon
they come from French Guiana region, they are arboreal, lovely color :rolleyes: defensive , kept in high humid tank. look at Tapinauchenius gigas which is orange, i looked at this one for info as i could find little on the purple version., hope this helps. I got a 1.5 inch sling that molted last weekend. :rolleyes:

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wouldn't call them defensive, really. I haven't yet had a threat display from any of mine. I'd more call them skittish. Nice arboreal species. Just keep in mind that they move very fast, and I think you'll be fine.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Their venom is supposedly relatively mild.

And yes, not so much defensive as lightning fast and skittish, perhaps. Run-three-laps-around-the-tank-in-4.7-seconds-when-you-enter-the-room, like =)